“First Loster Roll! Got the hot Butterec Roll and 1/2 dozen Oysters. Yummy !”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
Ranked #13 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
St. Petersburg, Florida
“First Loster Roll! Got the hot Butterec Roll and 1/2 dozen Oysters. Yummy !”
Reviewed September 2, 2014 via mobile

Visited our first day. Fantastic Lobster Roll! Wslked down fron N End. Location was perfectly set in the middle of everything happening.

2 Thank ChasOnRoadwJoe

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
USA
“A Victim of Its Own Success?”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

This tiny North End eatery has been open less than ten years but looks and feels like it's been a century-old Boston tradition. The focus is on top quality, fresh seafood, complemented by a nuanced chef's touch and an impressive wine and beer list. It has quickly become an international tourist destination, and boasts 2 to 4 hour waits. (You must show up in person to get on the list and they will call or text you when your seating is ready.)

This changes the whole dynamic of dining out. It is simply not possible to have a spontaneous plate of oysters and a beer with a friend, to eat when you're hungry, or to linger over a fine meal. Instead one must plan for Neptune Oyster like the most popular rides at Disney World, and then shove off when done. My wife and I spent well over $100 at the bar and I tip 25-30%. This didn't deter the bartender, within (I swear) two minutes of me signing the credit card slip, from a directing us to immediately leave "because we have a four hour wait." And to make sure you don't tarry, there is no coffee or dessert.

The food was excellent, and the service fast once we were there. But in the final analysis, an oyster is an oyster, and fresh lobster on a buttered roll is the same anywhere. What is not the same anywhere is the decision to treat customers like cattle instead of guests.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank BaddMonkey
Oberwil, Switzerland
“Only for Oysters, "funny waiting list principle"”
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

We've asked for a good restaurant serving seafood. Our hotel concierge recommended to go there. Our fault was not to check out the menu in detail...

It's always very crowded and they only have a waiting list and don't accept reservations. One day we got there at 8pm and were told to come back at 10pm. At 10pm they said they were sold out. The next day we got there at 6pm and we made it onto the waiting list. Given that we have an overseas mobile number they didn't want to call or text us as soon as our table was ready. So we were told to come back in 1.5 hours. After 1.5 hours we still had to wait for further 30 minutes. And got a seating possibility on the bar. As many others. The waiter was not very friendly. The main food are oysters. But we don't really like. So we had to decide if we take the deal of the day which was fried sardines or a lobster salad (very small portion for 30 CAD) what we did. The waiter was not very happy with our limited order and therefore we were not treated very friendly. So we drank our vine and had the two lobster salads, paid 95 CAD and went over to a nice sandwich place. Not what we've expected.

If you like oysters and are willing to wait for hours and want to be served in a crowded noisy place you are probably right. But there are a lot of other nicer places to be served in Boston.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Silke W
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not sure it's worth it....”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

The oysters here were amazing - with a really wide selection and great descriptions of the various varieties. My friend and I also split an appetizer of fried clams with the house made tartar sauce, I wasn't wild about the sauce, a little watery, but the whole bellied clams were cooked to perfection. I had more oysters for my meal and my friend had the hot buttered lobster roll which was huge and beautiful, and for the price it better be! The prices overall are pretty high, there are many places in this seafood rich town where you can get the same things at a better price. Also, the wait. My friend showed up at 11:10 for the 11:30 open and was the 12th person in line! When I arrived at 11:25 the line was down the street. I'm not sure that I'd wait hours to eat here as some of the reviews suggest is commonplace. We sat at the bar and service was good.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lisa R
“Enough already with the ridiculous wait”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Yes it is great, yes the oysters are really fresh, yes it is a "hole in the wall" tiny. But enough already with the wait. We've been there four times and each time was told the wait would be at least two hours, no matter when we got there or the day of the week. Twice we hung in and got a table and twice we gave up. You can get very good seafood at Legal Seafood which is a 5 minute walk away, and there is a lot less hype.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank WhereAreMyGlasses

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!