Review of Neptune Oyster

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Great selection of wines, I am not an oyster guy and got dragged here by a couple of friends but it was entirely worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My day trip to Boston included a mission to find the BEST hot butter lobster roll the city had to offer. I can tell you for sure, without a doubt, hands and feet down, this was the absolute best lobster roll in the city, maybe even the state, quite possibly the country!

Let me start with, get here as early as you can. Neptune Oyster is super quaint and super busy (always a good sign)! There is a wait list, when we arrived our wait was 2 hours and by the time we were seated the wait time had doubled to 4 hours. I would be the first to admit that I am not a patient waiter, however I was determined to enjoy this lobster roll at all cost!

I am not a mayonnaise fan, but there are two options for your lobster roll, either cold with mayo (like a chicken salad) or hot with butter (like a lobster tail side). I opted for the lobster roll with hot butter and it was superb! The bread used for the roll was extremely soft and had been grilled, the lobster was cooked to perfection and even the french fries were great. Neptune Oyster made me a lobster fan again because I had strayed away due to ill-knowledged chefs overcooking the delicate crustacean.

The staff is super friendly and the food was amazing. Definitely recommend the Neptune Oyster if you are in the area! Maybe try to call ahead if you can't get there early.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

The oyster selection and quality was superb. While I thought the lobster roll was a little over-hyped my boyfriend really liked it. The star of the show was by far the oysters though, fresh, perfect temperature and incredible flavor. I have no problem paying a 5 start restaurant price but for it i expect 5 star restaurant service and ambiance. We were crammed in between two couples on either side and were sharing elbow space, we were rushed out so quickly we had no time to savor the flavor and frequently we were left wanting something to drink. There is a line, we ate an early dinner/late lunch around 3:00 PM and we waiting in line for about 30 minutes. It was an enjoyable wait though. The staff was very friendly but didn't explain any of the menu, special or specialty drinks. I would go again just because the oysters were that good but that's the draw here, very good oysters. Typically, oysters are a romantic dinning experience but my boy friend and I left feeling a little grumpy and like we had over paid for an experience we did not get.

1  Thank CJeepGO
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving we garnered a reservation in 30 min. There were about 15 people in front of us. Once seated at the bar (community style seating) we ordered a bottle of lovely wine and I ordered the fresh red snapper. This was such a heavenly choice. The sauce was rich and hearty like a stew! I asked for a side of bread and sopped up every drop!!! That's how superb it was! Upon checkout I asked (sheepishly) for the recipe and to my surprise the cook came out of the kitchen and handed me a handwritten note w main ingredients. Said there may be this or that left out but it would get me there. Very nice!!! I WILL make this restaurant a priority on each trip I make to Boston!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Neptune is a small place.. With that stated... Even on a Tuesday evening the wait was a good hour. Get there early or have some one in your party go earlier to put your name in. The variety of Oysters is beyond with description for taste well spelled out. The lobster rolls, in good old New England Hot Dog bun, is loaded. The Nepune Burger was so filling I had to take half home.
The kind of Burger a fork & knife is needed for. I would put it up there as #1 or #2 in Boston. The ingredients are more than just the burger.
My wife had a fish, I only know it was the whole fish. Bottom line it was delicious. She let me have a taste. We did sit at the bar, so too much longer to wait for a table. It was fine. The staff is friendly and all of the Oysters are right in the front window with Miss Shucker preparing them.
Just a note: As we were waiting outside, walkers-by would comment to the people with them.. "This is THE PLACE. We have to eat here one night. But have to get here early". Pretty good compliment.
Birthday dinner at my son's favorite restaurant.