“Very good, a little over-valued.”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
Ranked #18 of 3,331 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The oyster selection and quality was superb. While I thought the lobster roll was a little over-hyped my boyfriend really liked it. The star of the show was by far the oysters though, fresh, perfect temperature and incredible flavor. I have no problem paying a 5 start restaurant price but for it i expect 5 star restaurant service and ambiance. We were crammed in between two couples on either side and were sharing elbow space, we were rushed out so quickly we had no time to savor the flavor and frequently we were left wanting something to drink. There is a line, we ate an early dinner/late lunch around 3:00 PM and we waiting in line for about 30 minutes. It was an enjoyable wait though. The staff was very friendly but didn't explain any of the menu, special or specialty drinks. I would go again just because the oysters were that good but that's the draw here, very good oysters. Typically, oysters are a romantic dinning experience but my boy friend and I left feeling a little grumpy and like we had over paid for an experience we did not get.

1  Thank CJeepGO
Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving we garnered a reservation in 30 min. There were about 15 people in front of us. Once seated at the bar (community style seating) we ordered a bottle of lovely wine and I ordered the fresh red snapper. This was such a heavenly choice. The sauce was rich and hearty like a stew! I asked for a side of bread and sopped up every drop!!! That's how superb it was! Upon checkout I asked (sheepishly) for the recipe and to my surprise the cook came out of the kitchen and handed me a handwritten note w main ingredients. Said there may be this or that left out but it would get me there. Very nice!!! I WILL make this restaurant a priority on each trip I make to Boston!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Neptune is a small place.. With that stated... Even on a Tuesday evening the wait was a good hour. Get there early or have some one in your party go earlier to put your name in. The variety of Oysters is beyond with description for taste well spelled out. The lobster rolls, in good old New England Hot Dog bun, is loaded. The Nepune Burger was so filling I had to take half home.
The kind of Burger a fork & knife is needed for. I would put it up there as #1 or #2 in Boston. The ingredients are more than just the burger.
My wife had a fish, I only know it was the whole fish. Bottom line it was delicious. She let me have a taste. We did sit at the bar, so too much longer to wait for a table. It was fine. The staff is friendly and all of the Oysters are right in the front window with Miss Shucker preparing them.
Just a note: As we were waiting outside, walkers-by would comment to the people with them.. "This is THE PLACE. We have to eat here one night. But have to get here early". Pretty good compliment.
Birthday dinner at my son's favorite restaurant.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We enjoyed oysters, kimchi, fried clams (out of this world) Octopus salad and hot lobster rolls. Everything was fantastic and expensive, Bench type seating, very tight. Got on line Saturday at 11:15am, and was in the first wave of couples to be seated at 11:30am. Waiting time very quickly rose to over and hour, and then 2 hours. Delicious food in a cramped restaurant.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

After waiting nearly two hours for a two top, we were more than anxious to devour Neptune's infamous lobster rolls. We couldn't decided if we wanted the hot or cold rolls so we decided to get one of each. The bad news is, the cold (traditional) lobster roll was a bit of a disappointment. The good news is the hot buttery lobster roll is AMAZING, truly a treat. Essentially it is a whole lobster taken out of the shell and drenched in sweet butter on a nice roll. If we go back we'll both get the hot rolls next time.

We also tried the Ipswich clams as an appetizer, they were average (much better at Atlantic Fish Co.).

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!