“Amazing taste of New England”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
Ranked #12 of 3,245 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
San Francisco
“Amazing taste of New England”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Get there early! Get one of the sampler platters (oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp, crab, lobster) and you won't be disappointed. Oh and the made to order chowder too!

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sylacauga, Alabama
“raw and rolled”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I always go here when in Boston. Lunch at 11:30, great way to get the day going. The service is great, I love the atmosphere, and the oysters and clams are teriffic. If it's your first time, get the lobster roll, it's the best in Boston. Very small place, but it adds to the experience.

Steenbergen, The Netherlands
“Basic food”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Based on the reviews tried to visit this restaurant several times. Each time long waiting times (on Saturday it was almost 4 hours!). On my last day in Boston was fianlly able to visit this restaurant without waiting time. Ordered oysters which were excellent and the lobster roll. This main dish was very basic. Bread (sunked in butter) with lobster and french fries, For me not that special. When I asked for coffee or dessert the waittres told they did not offer it. My feeling is that they want to get the customers out as soon as possible.
The restaurantitself is very small and people have to sit very close to each other. No privacy at at all. I have been there but when back in Boston will likely not return. For me this restaurant is overrated. There are many restaurants which offer better food and ambiance.

Geneva, Switzerland
“very fresh fish”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had to wait for an hour at lunch but it was really worth the wait. I had Hamachi Cevice with a nice Sauce and Oysters. The waitress chose the oysters for us and was super helpful. My husband had the lobster spagettinis and my daughter had the same. They were outstanding.

Visited November 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“I'm In Love With a Lobster Roll.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

It's true. Our love affair is expensive ($25 for a roll) but it's worth it. The lobster roll, hot with butter, at Neptune Oyster was everything I had hoped it would be. Succulent, overflowing with delicious hunks of fresh lobster meat, a tasty buttered roll, and just enough butter to compliment but not overshadow the lobster. The fries...meh. Not my favorite fries but I am a fry snob (weeks in Belgium with the ultimate frites the world has to offer will do that to a girl).

Also, for a real treat, start with the clam chowder. Holy moley, that was delicious chowder. It took everything I had not to lick the bowl in a crowded public space.

When all was said and done, the cost for one person's lunch of a BIG bowl of chowder, legendary lobster roll, and a soft drink after tip was....wait for it....$50. However, think of it as an event and a treat. It's not like you are spending this everyday for lunch.

And yes, get there early. I arrived at 12:05 on a Sunday afternoon and the place was already packed. I was first on the waiting list though, and the host took my name and phone number for an estimated 30 minute wait. This is a tiny place with no room to wait inside, so take a walk (you have no choice, really) while you wait. Less than 20 minutes later my phone rang with word my spot at the bar was ready....and they held it until I got there from where I was touring the church up the street. GREAT staff, lovely food....heck of a Sunday afternoon!