“So unique!”

Marliave Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Marliave Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #148 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tremont Street
Transit: Park st. Downtown crossing
Description: The Marliave, Boston's fourth oldest restaurant, has a tireless commitment to house prepared cuisine. Our orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices are fresh squeezed daily. All breads, desserts, sauces, pastas, ice cream, and stocks are made daily in house and are prepared to order. The Marliave utilizes local fresh vegetables, fruits, natural raised animals, and the finest imported ingredients to create our food and drink menus.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Marliave features a fun cocktail menu, fantastic filling Italian food, and best of all, dollar oyster specials right after work! That alone makes it pretty much my first choice to come. There are, I think, three full floors to this restaurant, all beautifully designed and distinctive. You can tell that it's an old, homey restaurant, but it still maintains a sophisticated vibe. This is definitely one to try!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

4 of us had a great Friday evening meal at Marliave. The meal was a hearty winter meal with great flavors. The upstairs room had a New York City feeling. Our waitress had a great sense of humor and gave us time to digest the menu since we hadn't been there for dinner before.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My fiancé and I were in Boston for a Saturday afternoon. Since she loves oysters (I mean LOVES them), I found Marliave's oyster special ($1 per from 4-6pm everyday). I don't like them, but thought I'd enjoy a bowl of French Onion soup. We got there at just before 4 pm. Plenty of room at the bar, so we sat there. I tried to get an apple martini, but the bartender, who was friendly enough, told me that they don't offer them because everything they serve is "all natural." We thought that a little odd, but "hey to each his own." I opted for a glass of pinto grigio and my lovely fiancé enjoyed a glass of beer.

Again, the bartender was friendly, but not overly attentive. We ordered half a dozen Welfleets and my fiancé said they were delicious. As I mentioned, I ordered a bowl of French Onion. It came reasonably quickly along with another half dozen Welfleets.

The soup was okay at best. It was a fairly weak broth. The gruyere was melted, but not browned the way that I normally expect. The onions weren't overly brown and it did have short ribs in it -which was an unneeded touch (they didn't seem to add any flavor). Then the bar crowd got a bit weird. Hard to describe how, but it just did.

At this point, we were never going to stay for dinner, so we took the tab - which was surprisingly high despite the bargain-priced oysters. We'd come back so my fiancé could have some bargain oysters, but that would be about it.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The restaurant is housed in an interesting old building, and the service is good. The food, however, is failrly predictable and average, or perhaps average+. The frites with the steak were actually quite good, but the burger was ordinary and the salad just sort of ok. I gather the drinks scene is fun, but we weren't drinking much. Reasonably priced and friendly.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Marliave is one of the better places to eat in Boston for business or with friends.

It is very well located about 100 yards from School Street and Boston Common.

The entrance is somewhat inauspicious and several business guests have looked a bit surprised as they go through the worn, black door to the space. There are two floors: the first has a bar and is dark. The second floor is bright with big windows.

I have been to Marliave at least 20 times. The service has always been good.

There is a very wide-ranging menu. Most of the dishes are very substantial. It is not fine dining but the food is well cooked and very well priced. In the early evening oysters are $1 each (or were up to February 2013) so it is a great place to go for appetizers and drinks after work or before dinner or, I guess, before the theater although you'll be hard pressed to find theater worth watching in Boston.

Unlike many restaurants in the tourist areas of Boston, this place feels like a local restaurant. In addition it is managed like a local restaurant and there is clearly awareness that good food and good service at a sensible price will get people to come back.

Definitely good value for money.