“The place for fish”

Marliave Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Marliave Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 3,185 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tremont Street
Transit: Park st. Downtown crossing
Description: The Marliave, Boston's fourth oldest restaurant, has a tireless commitment to house prepared cuisine. Our orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices are fresh squeezed daily. All breads, desserts, sauces, pastas, ice cream, and stocks are made daily in house and are prepared to order. The Marliave utilizes local fresh vegetables, fruits, natural raised animals, and the finest imported ingredients to create our food and drink menus.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“The place for fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We sat upstairs at this renowned Downtown Crossing restaurant which, albeit located at the end of a dead-end street, seems to be a Bostonian institution directly coming out of the Prohibition era. We directly felt the particular atmosphere of elegance and distinction conveyed by the tiled floor and the silver trays and bowls used to serve the meals. The place was not very crowded for a Saturday evening so we got all attention from the friendly waitress who helped us navigate through the menu and numerous suggestions of the day.
I had halibut which is still one of my preferred fishes. My wife opted for the trout. Both were perfectly cooked and elegantly presented with a lots of colorful vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, capers, artichokes...
The German Urban Riesling was a perfect companion to a very pleasant dinner which did surprisingly not drain too much my wallet. I will gladly visit this place again next time I'll be in Boston.

• Visited August 2012

Toronto
“Great ambiance Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Came in at night around 6 on a Saturday with no reservation but there was plenty of room on the second floor. The view from this floor is great and cozy. Food was very tasty and fresh. Had the seafood platter as an appetizer, I've never had octopus before but it was delicious.The main courses were good size. Pricing is above average but this was above average food. There was a full bar so drink orders were easy enough.

We would definitely love to come back here when we are in Boston again.

• Visited January 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Limited lunch menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Went here for lunch at recommendation of hotel concierge. Very limited lunch menu; no daily specials (the waitress said everything was "very special"). The burger I ordered well-done came out very red; they took care of it, but a bit of an inconvenience. My daughter's steak sandwich and fries were fine. We arrived around 11:15 and were the only ones in the place until about 11:45 when some business types showed up. Despite the waitress' opinion, I didn't see anything special about this place and would not go back.

• Visited January 2013
“Good but rushed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had a reservation for 830 but we needed up 15 mins late which seemed fine because the restaurant was pretty empty. From 9-10pm they have $1 oysters so we started with a 40 of those and some wine. The oysters were really good and fresh but the waitress kept asking us if we were ready to order our dishes. The kitchen didn't close till 10 and she was starting to rush us through the process. I ordered some escargot which were delicious and the steak frite. I was a little disappointed with my dish. It said that it came with Gorgonzola cheese which is why I picked the meal. The steak was really good, the fries were delicious but I literally got a dab and I mean a small dab of Gorgonzola.
My family got the Wellington and seemed to enjoy it however the foie gras was hard to find,and the crust seemed a little soggy.
Overall the food was great. The prices were fine but I do wish we hadn't been rushed through our meal. If you're going for dinner. Try to go for their 9-10pm oyster special. Their wine was delicious!

Essex
“Lovely place but avoid the Wellington!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner here with local friends. The cocktails are fanastic, atmosphere great and on the whole the food is superb. I ignored my chef friend's advice and had the beef wellington which was a mistake. There were basic errors in the execution which unfortunately resulted in soggy raw pastry on the bottom. When I pointed this out though, the staff were great and brought something else.

Everyone elses food was amazing as were the puddings. I wouldn't hesitate to come back again but would definitely avoid the Wellington