“Old-school Italian pastries done right”
Review of Modern Pastry Shop

Modern Pastry Shop
Ranked #4 of 103 Dessert in Boston
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Modern Pastry shop has it all -- very nice cannoli filled on the spot (as it should be), coffees, a mind-boggling array of pastries and tons of old-school atmosphere. Loved it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,752)

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We always go to Mike's and refer anyone we know visiting Boston to go Mike's for cannolis, but no more. We finally listened to a local who said to go to Mike's for a lobster tail but to Modern's for cannolis. So we did a taste test. We had ricotta cannolis at Mike's the first night, along with a lobster tail. The cannoli shells tasted stale and the one ricotta cannoli had no ricotta in the center. For $3.50, I want my cannoli to be filled. The lobster tail was out of this world. The next day we went to Modern's for ricotta cannolis. They were filled while I waited, so the shells were crisp and fresh. The filling was much better than Mike's.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Pre-filled or filled as you watch? Self made or purchased crust? While these debates occupy the foodies of Boston and elsewhere, and I don't have a lot of options to compare to also am not a big fan of cannoli's, the Modern Bakery cannoli was excellent, and when finished made me wish I had bought a second one.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

One of the best pastry shops in the North End. Higher quality and better taste than pastries from Mike's down the street. The shop is quite small and the processing of customers not as assembly-line-like as Mike's but the food is better.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I went here on the recommendation of a local ... who preferred the canolis at Modern to the other famous ones at Mike's.

I must say the canolis were worth the wait ... but be ready to wait a long time in line ... and NO you cannot hold a table inside while someone waits in the line for you ...