“Location is great- pastries are on point!”
Review of Modern Pastry Shop

Modern Pastry Shop
Ranked #3 of 105 Dessert in Boston
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I'll say it... Better than Mikes! Less of a line and since Mikes gets so busy they have to make a lot of their pastries way ahead of time and they're not always as fresh. Modern is newer but always fresh. If you can, get a seat, have a coffee, and a cannoli with chocolate dipped ends and ricotta filling. On point! Lobster tails are as big as your head so don't try to tackle one by yourself, but do get one. Soooo good.

1  Thank Kaitlin R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,709)

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Title says it all, need I say more! You also have to try a Terone, an Italian classic; I never had one before but I will repeat for sure... Beware thought, you may have to wait a tremendous amount of time to get your little delights, but the treat is worth the wait! You will also have to bring cash since they don't take any plastic.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

While walking up Hanover Street I couldn't imagine what the line was for...A bakery?? Interesting...I simply had to find out what was so special. We joined the crowed and waited our turn. 20 minutes later we walked out of the store with our neatly tied box of goodies and were eager to dig in...We ordered strawberry shortcake and a rumba -- plus we asked for 2 plain macaroons on the side. After a 2 hour drive to our hotel, we cracked open our treats and learned what the wait was all about. Fabulous! Fresh! Savory! The rumba was the least enjoyable out of the 3 items -- not that it was bad, just that the others were better. The macaroons were by far the best item. Sort of crusty on the outside, but tender and flavorful on the inside. They had a amaretto taste to them (at least to me). If you're a coffee drinker and like a sweet to accompany a cup of fresh brewed - this is for you! They were so good that we returned 2 days later, waiting in an even longer line, and bought dozens to bring home with us. They travel well since they are all snug in the nice neat box. No damage at all and my staff LOVED them! I did find it odd that they were by pound instead of by the dozen. We spent $27 on 2 dozen of them. However, no regrets -- they were a hit! Stop by, don't let the line scare you - I assure you, its worth the wait!

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

A friend of ours suggested we try the Lobster Claw at Modern Pastry and so we went to the North End. We saw a very long line upon approaching the place and decided to walk on. Just one door down is another Modern Pastry and it had no line! Apparently one side does pizza and that's where the crowds were lined up. Door #2 is desserts only and boy, oh boy!

We got our monster lobster claw and while it's a mess to eat, it was delicious. Think croissant meets cream puff but on steroids. This beast is enough for 3 or 4 people and you need utensils and a wet mop to eat it ;) Two of us couldn't finish it so I enjoyed the rest for a decadent breakfast the next morning.

In the store it was difficult to not buy one of everything - macarons, cannoli, eclairs, chocolates, etc. The staff was very helpful and nice. The only downside is there are only a few small tables to sit at. Luckily there is a nice park nearby to take a box full of treats.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We always end our Boston North End visit with a trip to Modern Pastry and usually we are not disappointed. Yes, there's always a line, fortunately they've expanded the bakery, but there still was a line, and Yes the service is less than wonderful but there are some issues one will tolerate if delicious homemade torrone, a lobster roll, or a napoleon is desired. While waiting in line for my usual purchase, I noticed the various Italian pastries available and decided to order my all time favorite sfogliatelle, a pastry that most non-Italians are even familiar with, although the exterior crust is similar to the lobster roll, the filling is different, a combination of ricotta cheese and other flavors depending on the creative skills of the baker. I grew up on this pastry so I KNOW MY SFOGLIATELLE and DO NOT ORDER ONE HERE. It's tasteless, the filling has the consistency of rubber and it's expensive. Go to SUGAR BAKERY, they have delicious sfogliatelle, although not located in the North End, it's worth the trip. At some point in time I will try this pastry at Mikes and Bova, so far Sugar has my 5 stars. My unhappy review is only for the sfogliatelle, not the lobster roll, napoleon, or torrone.

2  Thank Graciebruin