“Lines out the door -- there's a reason why!”
Review of Modern Pastry Shop

Modern Pastry Shop
Ranked #3 of 100 Dessert in Boston
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed August 4, 2014

While walking up Hanover Street I couldn't imagine what the line was for...A bakery?? Interesting...I simply had to find out what was so special. We joined the crowed and waited our turn. 20 minutes later we walked out of the store with our neatly tied box of goodies and were eager to dig in...We ordered strawberry shortcake and a rumba -- plus we asked for 2 plain macaroons on the side. After a 2 hour drive to our hotel, we cracked open our treats and learned what the wait was all about. Fabulous! Fresh! Savory! The rumba was the least enjoyable out of the 3 items -- not that it was bad, just that the others were better. The macaroons were by far the best item. Sort of crusty on the outside, but tender and flavorful on the inside. They had a amaretto taste to them (at least to me). If you're a coffee drinker and like a sweet to accompany a cup of fresh brewed - this is for you! They were so good that we returned 2 days later, waiting in an even longer line, and bought dozens to bring home with us. They travel well since they are all snug in the nice neat box. No damage at all and my staff LOVED them! I did find it odd that they were by pound instead of by the dozen. We spent $27 on 2 dozen of them. However, no regrets -- they were a hit! Stop by, don't let the line scare you - I assure you, its worth the wait!

There are newer reviews for Modern Pastry Shop

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

A friend of ours suggested we try the Lobster Claw at Modern Pastry and so we went to the North End. We saw a very long line upon approaching the place and decided to walk on. Just one door down is another Modern Pastry and it had no line! Apparently one side does pizza and that's where the crowds were lined up. Door #2 is desserts only and boy, oh boy!

We got our monster lobster claw and while it's a mess to eat, it was delicious. Think croissant meets cream puff but on steroids. This beast is enough for 3 or 4 people and you need utensils and a wet mop to eat it ;) Two of us couldn't finish it so I enjoyed the rest for a decadent breakfast the next morning.

In the store it was difficult to not buy one of everything - macarons, cannoli, eclairs, chocolates, etc. The staff was very helpful and nice. The only downside is there are only a few small tables to sit at. Luckily there is a nice park nearby to take a box full of treats.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We always end our Boston North End visit with a trip to Modern Pastry and usually we are not disappointed. Yes, there's always a line, fortunately they've expanded the bakery, but there still was a line, and Yes the service is less than wonderful but there are some issues one will tolerate if delicious homemade torrone, a lobster roll, or a napoleon is desired. While waiting in line for my usual purchase, I noticed the various Italian pastries available and decided to order my all time favorite sfogliatelle, a pastry that most non-Italians are even familiar with, although the exterior crust is similar to the lobster roll, the filling is different, a combination of ricotta cheese and other flavors depending on the creative skills of the baker. I grew up on this pastry so I KNOW MY SFOGLIATELLE and DO NOT ORDER ONE HERE. It's tasteless, the filling has the consistency of rubber and it's expensive. Go to SUGAR BAKERY, they have delicious sfogliatelle, although not located in the North End, it's worth the trip. At some point in time I will try this pastry at Mikes and Bova, so far Sugar has my 5 stars. My unhappy review is only for the sfogliatelle, not the lobster roll, napoleon, or torrone.

2  Thank Graciebruin
Reviewed July 31, 2014

The best pastries and desserts. Period. Forget about what you read about other places. This is the best!! Have an awesome dinner at any of the many great Italian eateries in the north end, then have dessert here.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Had heard Modern & Mike's were the best pastries ever so I had to do a taste test. While both were amazing, our group decided Modern's were slightly better. The canolii's were to die for - so many flavors & the shell was dipped in chocolate. The best item hands down was the homemade hostess like cupcake. Words cannot describe how decadent.

The lines are long but wow it is worth a trip!

PS - cash only!