“Not if i can help it”

Neighborhood: North End
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not if i can help it”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you are willing to wait in line for twenty minute and have the staff keep overlooking you and dont bother to even acknowledge you ...yes this is the place to go to .Its no wonder the TIP jar seemed empty .If you are looking for a good experience stay AWAY.Off the main road there a lot of friendlier bakeries .Since the service experience ( or lack of it ) was terrible i have to rate the food and decor bad as overall the experience left a bad taste .

San Diego, California
“Modern is THE place for a cannoli!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I tried Modern Pastry one day and Mike's the next. In my opinion Modern is excellent and Mike's is "okay". Mike's has more fillings to choose from, but the cannoli's are all pre-filled and waiting for you to purchase in the case. Modern, on the other hand, filled my cannoli after ordering. This allowed me to ask if they would do a 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 whipped cream with almonds added ("no problem" they said). The shell was tasty and had just the right amount of flakiness. The 1/2 and 1/2 mixture was a perfect combo for me also. Mike's shell was thicker/firmer and not flakey at all and I didn't like the filling as much either.

• Visited June 2013
“Horrible at best, not worth the train ride and long walk over!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We tried the canoli's at modern bakery and they were nothing but tasteless cookies with pudding the middle. We tried the strawberry shortcake the Chico mousse and a few other things and everything tasted like it had no sugar and we ended up throwing everything away. Nothing beats American desserts at least they are sweet! Someone please explain what all the hype is about.

Falmouth, MA
“After Standing On Line, A Disappointment”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I love cannolis and couldn't wait to wash one down with a double espresso. I usually go to Mikes but decided to try Modern after reading TA reviews. It was OK, but not worth the wait. I was surprised at how cheap it was, which may explain the blandness. We also tried a fig and almond pastry, which was dry and also not very good. I will not go back.

Florida
“Yummy mini cannolis”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Was very full after a delicious Italian lunch but wanted a sweet snack. Enter Modern Pastry mini cannoli. Perfect 3 bites. There is a colossal debate over which is better - Mike's or Modern's. I say visit both and decide which one you like better yourself. I like both. At Modern they are also really nice people. We spilled a whole cup of coffee. Their first reaction was to get us a new cup and then everyone told us it was OK and they would clean up. They were so nice about it.