“A European feel”

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you like European hotels (i.e. small but unusual and cleverly designed rooms), then The Boxer is your kind of room. The front desk staff is extremely helpful. It's also very convenient for TD Bank Garden if you are attending a game or concert. Public transit is also easily accessible. We visited for my wife's birthday in January 2014, and I believe we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Gary Carr,

Thank you! Though we are very proud of our nostalgic cool design and atmosphere, it is such a compliment to say the we have a "European" feel to our hotel. Boston is a city rooted in history and we celebrate our city; and its European heritage! Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Vanessa Vitale

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights beginning of March 2014 and had a great experience.

I needed a power adapter for my laptop on the first morning and the two girls on reception were exceptionally helpful in finding me a store closeby where I could buy one, they even called them for me to make sure the store was open and printed directions for me! That's service!

Ate in The Finch in the hotel and enjoyed it very much and the proximity to TD Garden is a big bonus, I saw the Boston Bruins play at home during this stay.

All in all just great and it's got free wifi as well.

The only gripe I have is the bed was a little big for the room and the base of the bed jutted out past the mattress so every time I constantly bashed my shin on the corner of the base.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dav M

Dear Dav M,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad to hear that our service exceeded your expectations and that your experience in our restaurant, finch, was to your liking! Know that we are working on a solution for our custom made platform beds- I appreciate the candid feedback!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I like the design of the bedrooms. Modern, but with nice oldish-looking wooden furniture. It feels a bit like in a cartoon from the 30's. Good atmosphere. And since I've been there for one night and I was really tired, I enjoyed sleeping in the large, comfortable bed in a not-too-noisy bedroom. The receptionists were very friendly.

Disappointments: no food after 9pm; the waiters in the bar not paying very much attention to clients (for sure when sending messages on the phone it is difficult to see clients waiting for the bill) and when I came back to pick up my luggage I had left for a couple of hours: they brought someone else's luggage though I gave my ticket with the number on it... Also, there is only one lift and the waiting time was too long.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Jean-Christophe L,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than desirable restaurant experience, this is certainly not the level of attention to our service culture that we want to portray. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention and know it will be rectified immediately! We look forward to seeing you again in Boston if you have a chance to visit. Thank you!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This hotel is great in providing wonderful accommodations. I booked a Junior Suite to see KOL concert and was in love with this hotel. This hotel offered a great rates for since we were attending the concert at TD Garden which is only a few blocks away and located within several restaurants and bars all within walking distance.

The details to the room were well thought out including a Keurig coffee maker, full length mirrors, and outlets built within the night stands for convenience. The bathroom had a good size counter and was well supplied with towels, blow-dryer, and toiletries. The bed was king size plus more!!!!

After traveling from New York and faced with excessive traffic, the staff upon check in was friendly and accommodating to our rush, as we were late to the concert. After the concert and bar hopping, the staff was also great with assisting in locating a pizza delivery at 2am not to mention they were in great spirits at 2am as well.

Valet parking was effortless and worth it since parking is extremely limited.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying again this summer.

Room Tip: suite 510 was home away from home!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank HeyU76

Dear HeyU76,

We so enjoyed having you stay with us! Thank you for your great review - and we will keep 510 on hold for you for your next visit!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed there when we were going to a game at TD Garden and it was perfect. It was a really good deal and a nice room with lots of little touches that made it special. The only down side was breakfast - there was only one waitress for the whole restaurant and there was not coffee available if you did not want to wait to be served for breakfast. The front desk staff was friendly and very responsive. We would defiantly stay there again.

2  Thank joanne g

Dear joanne61,

Thank you for staying with us! We do our very best in making sure you have a great service experience in both the Hotel and restaurant and I am so sorry that there were any down sides to your stay. At any time, any of our guest service professionals would be happy to get coffee for you in the morning as well, we understand how important it is every morning!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Front desk personnel were great - very helpful and friendly. Only 1 (slow) elevator in the hotel used by guests and hotel employees...think housekeeping and engineering carts. Room was large. Lots of hallway noise, very harsh fluorescent lighting in room and hallways, tiniest bathroom sink I have ever seen. The light from clock shines like a beacon in the room so if you need dark, or even mostly dark when you're sleeping, you're going to either cover it up or unplug it. Mounting of TV is awkward so you can only see without unobstructed view if you are situated 'just so' on the bed.

Dear TA_3163,

Thank you for your review- though I am thrilled to learn that you had a great experience with our service, I am sorry to hear that our room design and amenities did not meet your expectation. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in Boston so that I may ensure your accommodation is more conducive to your needs. Thank you!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have been missing The Boxer since we were there for 4 nights from 13. of february. I loved the room wanted to take the bed with me home. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The valet parking was brilliant. it is always going to be expensive to have a car downtown Boston so to have to pay 10-11 dollars more for valet parking than self parking and being able to take the car in and out is much more convenient than self parking. The location is really good. either for walking or driving.
So I have nothing but praise for this hotel.
The complimentary apples were a good start every morning.
Thanks a lot The Boxer

1  Thank Erlendur E

Dear Erlendur E,

Thank you! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, the apples and the cool atmosphere! We look forward to seeing you again!