“Nicely Renovated - Great Staff”
Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a nicely renovated hotel. The rooms are small and the mattress platform is too large for the mattress. The platform sticks out past the end of the mattress and if you're not careful, you'll leave this hotel with bruised shins. The end of the mattress should be brought down to be even with the end of the platform and something should be placed at the head of the bed to prevent the mattress from being able to slide toward the head of the bed.

Though small, the room is nicely appointed. I agree with another reviewer. There should be more light in the room. There is a wide choice of snacks already in the room. They are a bit pricey, but it beats going out for something. I also found the restaurant to be good. More variety would be great and more desert options (I believe there was only ice cream).

All the staff were helpful. The parking is very expensive. Valet parking was over $40 and there was an option for public parking, but that was over $30 and was a few blocks away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KennetteR
Javier E, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. I appreciate all the details! This is exactly what we need to hear to make adjustments and get better at what we do. I agree on the beds in some of the rooms. We're working with the designer on a permanent fix. I will admit I'm the victim of a couple bruises myself. We hope to have this resolved by the end of the year. We have already addressed the concern in some of the rooms by installing smaller bed frames. Lighting was another concern we read about. This is being corrected as we speak. Brighter bulbs are being installed and we're confident these changes will eliminate this concern moving forward. We also just did a tasting for some added desert that we feel our customers will love. This new items include PB&J Fritters and Homemade Ice Cream Cookie sandwiches. I fortunately had the opportunity to try all these before being on the menu! :) We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me in the future so I can personally arrange your next visit!

There are newer reviews for The Boxer Boston

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Great place to stay while in Boston. Good service and close walk to everything.
Negative points:
1. Room is way to dark, not enough lighting and the walls are painted dark gray which makes it even darker.
2. The room is so small that you bump your shins on furniture trying to walk around the room.

Even with these two problems I would stay here again. The staff is friendly and the service good. Room is very clean and modern. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Javier E, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thanks for the review! We appreciate the feedback. You will be pleased to hear that we are currently in the process of switching out the lightbulbs in all guest rooms for brighter LED bulbs. We have heard this concern before and decided a change was indeed necessary. We hear you loud and clear on the bed frames as well. We had the hotel designers come in to inspect and they are looking into another solution for the frame in the rooms where this may be obtrusive. Honest guest feedback is all we need to hear and we'll always make the necessary changes to ensure all of our guests have a great experience. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future! Thanks again!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked a junior suite and found it to have plenty of room, great shower & bathroom. The location can't be beat. There is a T station very close, a trolley pickup around the corner and a quick walk to the TD Garden! We enjoyed the breakfast each morning and everyone was helpful and friendly!
We hadn't been to Boston before, and loved our trip! Beautiful historic city and the World Series Fever was contagious!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shannon M

Thanks for the fantastic review! We're glad we were able to provide such a memorable experience on your Honeymoon! Boston is a great city to visit on any occasion. Now we just have to see you every year on your anniversary! :) We look forward to seeing you then!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My sister and i stayed at this hotel this past week.
The room was extremely small. No closet, no dresser.
Just 1 drawer attached to a shelving unit that held 5 hangars.
no bathtub just a shower. Room was dark grey in colour which made it look even smaller.The staff at the desk were great and very helpful with directions. The location of the hotel was close to the Freedom Trail and other historical areas.Its close to the subway and commuter trains as well.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you do not mind how small the rooms are.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marion B
Javier E, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience! We appreciate the feedback from such a seasoned TripAdvisor reviewer like yourself. We have several different room layouts due to the unique shape of our building (think Flatiron Building in NYC!). Some rooms are smaller than others. It varies by room type reserved. We will update your guest profile with this information and ensure you get a larger room type on your next visit regardless of which room you secure. Our #1 goal is guest satisfaction. I'm very pleased to hear the customer service was up to par. We're making strides everyday to get better at what we do. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team. We look forward to having you bak as our guest in the near future!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Choose the Boxer based on TripAdvisor reviews and its location. The room was small and the bed was quite comfortable. No street noise and wifi worked well. A luggage stand would have been nice; we had to keep two suitcases on the floor. Another towel hook in the bathroom would have been nice too. The restaurant had good food and the wait staff was helpful and friendly. Housekeeping overlooked our room after the first night, but there was no urgent need for cleaning or new linen/towels. As frequent travelers, we have learned to accept that sometimes things go wrong. The hotel is very well located for visiting downtown Boston. We walked the Freedom Trail and roamed Boston neighborhoods from this base.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for writing about your recent experience at The Boxer! This is the second review in a row form such a seasoned traveler like yourself. I see we had some shortcomings on your stay and I do appreciate your patience and understanding. Nevertheless we should have been more thorough when refreshing and inspecting rooms. I'm not one for excuses so I won't provide any. We will use this as a learning experience and make adjustments to ensure this does not happen not just to you but any guest in the future. Thanks for the comments on the hooks and luggage racks. Very good points. We will review internally and look to make improvements. This is exactly the type of feedback we need to get better at what we do. I appreciate the time taken and I look forward to having you back as out guest in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed for one weekend night in October and had a nice stay. We took the train to North Station. The Boxer is a five minute walk from North Station. We got there before check in but they stored our bags and called us when the room was ready. The room was smallish but for a downtown city hotel it was what we expected. The vibe has a modern industrial feel but thought it was good. There was a Keurig in the room. The room was quiet and the bathroom was fine if small. There was a mix up on our room assignment but they corrected it quickly when we told them and they offered us a free breakfast as compensation. We didn't get to use it but it was a nice gesture and freely offered. The bar was nice. We will definitely consider this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanessa V, Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear USAMaineTravelers,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding The Boxer- we certainly look forward to having you back in Boston!

Best,
Vanessa Vitale
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Boxer is a lovely boutique hotel. There are more positives than there are issues, so I would definitely recommend staying here. I stayed four nights in all. The positives are:

1) Stylish decor. The renovations are fresh, hip, yet comfortable. The professional photos of the hotel are true to life.
2) Good location. It's very close to TD Gardens and close enough to the North End and Beacon Hill to walk.
3) Great front desk staff. Friendly, courteous, and happy to to help.
4) Housekeeping did an amazing job. Very clean.

The negatives are:
1) Very little soundproofing. I was in the handicap accessible room near the elevator. The elevators are quiet, but the other guests of the hotel can be clearly heard from inside the room. These guests weren't being rude. They were using their normal indoor voices. I woke up a few times a night from these conversations. When I mentioned the noise, the front desk offered to move me to another room. The room that they offered was much smaller with a postage sized bathroom. The noise wasn't so much of an issue as the hotel emptied during the week.
2) Room service. I ordered fries and the lobster mac and cheese. The fries didn't arrive with the sauces that were noted on the menu. There was plastic in my tepid mac and cheese. And they forgot the untilsils. As such, I wasn't impressed with the room service. They could try a bit harder in this arena.

If it weren't for those two things, I would have rated the hotel a 5 out of 5.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for the review! I like to hear about the positives but do welcome the negatives. I appreciate you holding us accountable. We're here to provide a positive memorable experience. I'm disappointed to hear it was soured by noise from outside your room and lack of attention to detail on the room service order. Completely unacceptable. I will address these concerns with our Chief Engineer and Executive Chef. We have discussed additional soundproofing around the doors in high traffic areas. We look to have this installed within the next week. Regarding Room Service - no excuses. We should have delivered the order as advertised. We'll make the adjustments in service immediately to ensure none of our guests have this same experience in the future. Thanks again for the review and details. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future!