“Great front desk people”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #22 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great front desk people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The people at the front desk were exceptional. They were helpful with leading us in the right directions all over Boston.
The downfall is the furniture in the room. It takes up too much space and it is difficult to move around in the room.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your kind comments about the front desk team at The Boxer. We look forward to your next visit with us. Please feel free to reach out to us directly for your next reservation; it sounds like you may find yourself more comfortable in a more spacious guest room and we would love to ensure this is what is reserved for you.

Emily A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

You can add a lot of bells and whistles to a hotel but the main point is to make visitors feel safe and comfortable inside their rooms--and to allow them to get a good night's sleep so they can do whatever they were planning to do the next day. No matter what fancy marketing tricks the Boxer pulls ("rebranding" the hotel, having Emily respond to each TripAdvisor review, a pretty website), it fails at that. Prepare to hear everything that goes on in the hallway. The elevator opening, a conversation in the hallway (as if you were in the same room), a door slamming, the elevator opening again, another conversation in the hallway (this time louder because they're drunk), another door slamming, repeat ad nauseam until you decide to take a strong sleeping pill. As another reviewer mentioned, the soundproofing is atrocious. But hey, if you're feeling a bit lonely, perhaps the conversations in the hallway will cheer you up.

The minifridge is hidden within the nightstand which is right next to the bed. Cool design, the only problem is that the minifridge starts buzzing and huffing (as a fridge does) right into your ear late at night.

The morning was even worse. The night before I inputted, on the automated system, a wakeup time of 6:45 AM. It was read back and confirmed to me. The next morning I get a wakeup call at 6:15 AM. Why, I ask the receptionist? "Oh, someone must of put it in wrong. I'll speak to him about that."

On the positive side, the rooms look nice and the cleaning seems to do a good job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank EW85
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear EW,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your visit with us, as well as the positive comments about room cleanliness, and new website.

We are quite dedicated improving and enhancing each detail of service we offer and I truly apologize for the lag in your wake up call in the morning, as well as the difficulty you had sleeping from the hotel sounds.

We do hope you are able to join us again soon. If you are able to reach out to us prior to your stay, we would be very happy to place you in a higher room, away from the elevator and traffic sounds.

bmore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I went to the boxer to get a few days away from the stress of life. Emily Antonelli (the manager) mad sure that I received everything that I needed to have a relaxing and enjoyable break from reality. Thanks Emily. I will be back very soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello Kyle,

Thank you so much for your compliments. We are thrilled that the entire Boxer team was able to provide you such a reprise from the stresses of the everyday. We cannot wait for your next visit with us.

Hicksville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Great Hotel, Great Experience. Staff is very nice and helpful. Would absolutely stay again You are so close you can walk to most of the hot places to go in Boston. The girl at the front desk welcomed us and helped us to book tours. Really a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed the attentive care while at The Boxer. We have access to so many excellent city tours and are glad to hear you took advantage of this convenience. We look forward to your next visit.

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our 5 day stay at the Boxer was part business and part family trip to Boston. Our only major issue with the hotel was the valet parking. (I'll get to that later.)

Rooms: A bit small, but normal for a large city like Boston. They were very clean and had a great housekeeping staff. The room I was in had no drawers so we lived out of our suitcase during the stay.

Service: Good but Spotty - Most of the time service was great, but it seems like the hotel understaffed which caused issues.

Location: Wow... This was the best part. We walked everywhere because it was very close or almost close. During the trip we walked to - Childrens Museum (wonderful), New England Aquarium (must see), North End Park (bring swim suit for kids), North End (good eats), Barking Crab (over rated, bad service). The last two days we used the T to get around just because we were tired of walking.

Food: Only had breakfast. It was very good.

Parking: If you don't have a car during your stay.... Be glad. Valet Parking was not a good experience. Often the front desk could not find the valet parking staff. From the time the Valet has my keys in hand it's about 20 minutes before he is back with the car. So if your 2 or 3 cars in line you in for a serous wait. I even asked if my car could be ready 50 minutes early and when I came down I waited another 20 minutes. If you have meetings you need to drive to be careful, you might want to park your own car. I would have gotten in and out much faster and saved some money.

Would I visit the Boxer again... Yes, but I won't bring my car!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Imagemaker73
Hello ImageMaker,

We appreciate your candid comments on our great location and accommodations; thank you!

Your feedback is very important to us and strive to act swiftly on any areas we may be able to improve the guest experience. Based on recent comments on our valet service, The Boxer hotel is making drastic changes to its current valet department. We understand that the best way to continually improve and strive to provide a truly unique service experience is to act promptly on any opportunities to heighten service standards.

Please feel free to reach out to us directly for your next visit to Boston.

Harwich, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in mid-June. Nice place. Clean. Rooms a bit small but all in all nice. The staff however needs some work. As I had added on a night, they did it under two reservations so I had to check in and check out again and they made it quite a production. Kept telling me my credit card was declined when in fact it was that the room had already been paid for. Ate dinner one night in their lounge. Very cozy but it took forever to get food and it wasn't crowded. The lobster mac & cheese is to die for! However the slow waitress not only took forever (took her 45 minutes to come back and tell one of my friends that they were out of chicken salad) but she never came back to see if we wanted more drinks. When we got up to get our own, they didn't have proper glassware - served cognac in a white wine glass. The bartender explained that the new owners hadn't gotten proper glassware. We stopped back in the second night and were blown away by the bartender. She went out and on her own, bought proper glassware knowing we'd be back in. Turned out that she wasn't a regular employee there - a shame as she was the only one I saw that knew what they were doing. The place has potential so long as you don't mind staff that doesn't know their jobs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cscott55
Hello CSScott,

We had our grand re-opening as The Boxer Hotel and Finch Restaurant shortly after your last visit with us in June. I warmly invite you to email me directly for your next visit with us. I assure you that we are profoundly concerned with each of the fine details; right down to particular glassware for our thoughtfully hand crafted cocktails. My email is Emily.antonelli@TheBoxerBoston.com and I know our entire team would be thrilled for you to revisit us.

As part of The Independent Collection, we are dedicated to submersing each of our guests with a unique and neighborhood-centric, personalized experience. We happily anticipate your next visit.

Cheers,

Hicksville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great experience. Staff was super friendly. The location was perfect. Easy to walk to Boston Garden(sorry TD, I won't call it that), the waterfront, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall, and just about everywhere else. Our room was very nice. Definitely had a masculine, gritty, city feel to it but not one that would offend anybody. Dark woods and metal. I really loved the decor in our room. There is a bar/restaurant downstairs and it's a very nice place to go have a quiet drink while plotting what adventure to hit up next in Boston. There is a parking garage only a block and a half away and 24 hours is only $33(hey, coming from NYC, that's super cheap!). In the end we really enjoyed our stay and loved being so close to The T, and all the sites that this great city has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for non-handicap room, away from elevator.