“Sleek upgrades but drainage issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #22 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange, California
“Sleek upgrades but drainage issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel has done some nice modern, sleek upgrades to nonetheless super small rooms. Further, it doesn't change the fact that it is after all an old structure. The bathroom toilet looks like it's going to over-flow any minute. Having stayed at the top floor, the rain outside translated to leakage in the room from the ceiling. The staff never asked about my staff, so I forgot to bring these issues to their attention when checking out.

The Internet was painfully slow. Parking was a whopping $45. They have a slightly cheaper alternative for $30 next door, but you'll need to get the car out by noon and there's no in-and-out privileges.

The staff was friendly. Not sure I would return in light of the maintenance issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear TravelwithRiley,

We kindly thank you for your review of our "Sleek Upgrades." Our designers have certainly done their upmost to create a beautiful, well appointed and thoughtful space within The Boxer hotel rooms.

Straightforward guest feedback is always welcome. I am happy to let you know that the very temporary water issue you encountered was quickly fixed and is quite out of the ordinary. We are also doubling our internet capability (tomorrow, actually) in response to guest concerns such as yours.

We would love to welcome you back soon to The Boxer.

Emily Antonelli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The staff at the Boxer were top notch, from reception, to room service, to the waitstaff at the "Finch" restaurant. The room was very clean and comfortable with gorgeous views of the city. If you decide to eat or even just stop in to the Finch for a drink, I highly recommend the "Million Dollar Mojito" and a game of backgammon. The proximity to the TD Garden made it ideal for seeing a concert and only having to make a short walk back. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt,

How delightful to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit with us. We consider it an honor to curate the neighborhood for our guests, providing intuitive service in a fantastic location. Thank you for your compliments on the Million Dollar Mojito in finch as well as the compliments on the service provided.

We look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to reach out to me personally when making your next travel arrangements.

Burnsville, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I made the mistake of booking our room on Priceline (for 2 ppl). The front desk person was wonderful in helping find us a room for the 2 of us. The room was still small, but we made it work. I needed a mini-fridge for medical use. The one they brought us ended up not working. So at midnight I was on the phone w/the front desk dealing w/getting a different one. It took almost 2hrs before I was told there weren't any more. So I was kept awake til 2am dealing w/this.
The resturant in the hotel was very nice, good service and good food. The hotel was very close to the North Station (train station), which came in very handy when touring the city.
The front desk people were helpful and very well educated about all the different kinds of sight-seeing attractions. Great for touring Boston.
My biggest complaint was with housekeeping. They came into the room when we didn't need any service. And they touched ALL of our personal belongings. And threw out some souvineers that weren't even near the trash can. They didn't take anything, but we were upset knowing housekeeping went through our personal belongings.
Overall, the Boxer was near to our destination and handy with being near the train.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
BoxerandFinch, AGM at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Kat W,

We greatly appreciate you candid feedback and thank you again for staying with us at The Boxer. Though we are pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your reservation, we do want to apologize wholeheartedly for the issues you experienced during your stay. Please know that your experience has been communicated with our team as we want to ensure our guests' experience is perfect. I would be delighted to speak with you personally and in more detail regarding the situation, feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best,
Vanessa Vitale
hampden, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were so glad to learn of this hotel's discount for patients with appointments at Mass. General Hospital. The location is convenient, the price was much lower than anything else we could find within walking distance, and the hotel itself was very attractive, comfortable, friendly, roomy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Emily A, Director of Sales at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear RobincWood,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that The Boxer was so convenient to Mass General during your visit. It is our endeavor to create a unique and welcoming travel experience, no matter what brings you to the area. We are thrilled that you found us to be attractive, friendly and roomy and look forward to your future visits.

Anya Wright
Director of Sales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Booked a room at this hotel through hotels.com in advance of a conference I was attending in Boston. It did not bother to tell me until I was on my way to Boston that it had double booked and that it had no rooms (although it was prepaid). As I was traveling, I could not take care of the situation. My assistant tried for over an hour to no avail. When I reached Boston, I was told they could put me in Woburn and did not seem to understand the inconvenience this posed since I did not drive to Boston and had no vehicle. I then spent almost 2 hours on the phone with a customer service rep who finally booked a room for me in Cambridge. As a result, I missed part of the conference and now have additional travel to reach the conference site each day. I will not be reserving a room at the Boxer again any time soon.

Stayed June 2013
3 Thank JMDIII
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear JMD,

We are terribly sorry that you did not get to stay with us at The Boxer. It is so disappointing when something occurs in this fashion, and we truly apologize that you had to stay so far from your conference. We whole-heartedly hope that you do have the opportunity to settle in at The Boxer on your next travel to Boston. If I may assist you with your credit from Hotwire, please feel free to reach out to me at the hotel phone number.

Warmest Regards,
East Aurora, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We traveled to Boston for a few days and were very pleased with our hotel choice! The staff was very accommodating and hospitable. We wanted to make sure we made the most of our short time in the city and had to ask a lot of question~ which the staff graciously answered :) Everyone there made us feel very comfortable, we would certainly recommend.
The room gave me some decorating ideas to use at home~ well done!!

Room Tip: Excellent views from top floors!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Ms. R,

Thank you for your review of your visit with us. We cannot wait for your next visit!

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel is well positioned and the rooms, though very small, are tastefully furnished. But reception staff and housekeeping were WAY BELOW standard. Lift was out of order for almost a day ( we were on the fifth floor). Calls to reception went unanswered prompting me to go down.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Mr. OLeary,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Boxer on Trip Advisor. I am terribly sorry to hear that your visit took place during the unusual occurrence of the elevator being worked on. We aggressively maintain and inspect the lift so that this is an extremely rare, (but sometimes necessary) circumstance.

Thank you for pointing out areas that we can improve. We feel it is important to listen to our guests and continually strive to improve.