“Turkey Tips entree was terrible, but Service was Fantastic!”
Review of Kitty O'Shea's - CLOSED

Kitty O'Shea's
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 2, 2009

This place is right around the corner from Fanueil Hall as well as the Old State House.

My boyfriend and I went here Thursday July 2, 2009, on a whim because I had bought a $25 restaurant (dot) com gift certificate for about $3 for here through a Upromise promotion, while searching for Boston restaurants that would appeal to us. So I got this certificate thinking it would be somewhat easy to meet the requirements to use it with 2 people (Stipulation on the certificate: Valid for dinner only with a minimum food purchase of $35. 18% gratuity added to pre-discounted check amount. **AND, use of this gift certificate for alcoholic beverages is at the sole discretion of the merchant).

It was a seat-yourself type of deal as there were a few tables around the edge of the place with a bar in the middle. There were a few other groups of people there sitting to have food too. The waitress was very attentive to our needs and our service was excellent, food was delivered in a timely manner and she was probably the most authentic Irish thing of everything in the place and had a beautiful accent... However... while sitting at our table, there must have been people smoking just outside the door and with every person that walked in it became pretty overwhelming for someone with no tolerance for smoke.

The food.
We both got the Turkey Tips Entrees, and we both were totally unimpressed. They were so tough, bland, and burnt I just could not get myself to finish eating them and neither could he. And I honestly felt like mine had a hint of fish to their taste. And the side of vegetables that came with it was loaded with way too much butter. The drinks were ok. I was bummed because Sam Adams Boston Lager wasn't on tap. What made it hard for us at first was that the prices had dropped on the meals we planned on getting to meet the gift certificate requirements, but the waitress made it easy as she DID allow us to use our drinks towards our total on the gift certificate! (Note to others: It never hurts to ask PRIOR to ordering if they'll accept these types of certificates towards drinks too if the certificate does not clearly state yes or no!)

Despite the bad food, we think that it was only made OK because of her accepting our gift certificate towards our drinks too... which was only made better when she did not add the 18% gratuity to the pre-discounted check amount. But as normal for us, we always tip good service more than 20% anyway. We felt very impartial after our dinner... and quite honestly, it's a bar and we probably would not come back for food (but we will, simply because I had bought 2 gift certificates to this place at the time, and I don't want to waste my second one).

2  Thank Karascorner

Reviewed December 13, 2007

I hosted an event here and rented out the second floor. Although the decor is nice (lots of seating, 2 bars, + DJ booth), beyond the aesthetics, IT WAS HORRIBLE. The staff was RUDE, UNCOOPERATIVE, DISRESPECTFUL, and CONDESCENDING in the way they talked down to all of the guests. They (bartenders, wait staff, and bouncers) made us feel unwelcome at the establishment, despite the fact that we had prepaid for a very high bar tab and signed a very generous contract. Moreover, at the end of the night, the manager tried dishonestly to milk me for even more money by attempting to MANIPULATE me into paying a room rental fee that we had already negotiated. I was extremely UNIMPRESSED by the level of professionalism and courtesy, and I do not plan to be a customer of this establishment EVER, EVER again. I have been to a lot of bars and clubs, and this was by far THE WORST EXPERIENCE of all. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME!

1  Thank kittysbad
Reviewed October 18, 2007

more a bar than a place to eat

Reviewed July 7, 2007

From all our walking in Boston, we decided to stop for a beer and snack at Kitty O'Sheas - what a nice place that was. Beer was wonderful and we had french fries with cheese - an enormous amount of food and....it was delicious - we wished we had ordered a whole meal but....perhaps next time!

A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Kitty O'Shea's is amazing Irish Pub located at ----- Boston, MA. The food is wonderful from a great burger to fish and chips(and much more). The Guiness is the best tasting in the area and the service is first rate.