“Excellent food in a great decor!”
Review of Delux Cafe

Delux Cafe
Ranked #642 of 3,307 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Latin, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: South End
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Very very good food. I'm talkin' about 'chef' food here, not 'bar' food. Low price for the quality. Great ambiance/decor for the younger or cooler people.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

I had no idea this place existed, nor do I think I would have if a friend had not told me about it. On the outside, you can't even tell it is a restaurant. But the inside, is a charming little bar and restaurant, great decor - album covers, posters, etc, and a fun and relaxed atmosphere. I could tell many of the customers were regulars and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. It is a small and somewhat dark - great for hanging out with a small crowd or a date. The food was excellent - I had a lamb burger (which was excellent, highly recommended) and my friend had the duck special which looked amazing and he thoroughly enjoyed. The wine list consisted of a glass of Chardonnay or red wine, the lack of options was a disappointment but the Chard was pretty good. The prices are great and are the portion sizes, no meal was more than $14. A glass of wine was $6.

1  Thank snowbu5851
Reviewed October 12, 2010

It is a tiny hole in the wall that I have come to love. It is cluttered usually, and wildly decorated with a mish-mash of posters, album covers, and 1 bust of elvis. The relaxed, eclectic atmosphere is out-shined by the food. It is equal parts no frills yet masterly crafted. Their flank steak in a balsamic reduction is still my favorite dish. They also have Tremont Ale on tap, amazing! The only down side is that I learned the hard way that it was cash only.

Reviewed April 18, 2010

I was wandering through the neighborhood and almost walked past the Delux as the front door is very discreet. Entering, I picked up a menu and found the waitress who advised me that I could eat at the bar. The bar is on the left hand side of the narrow room with a few tables for two opposite hte bar and some larger tables to the left of the entrance.
The decor consists mainly of "nostalgic" album covers - Prez Prado, Shelly Berman, The Four Lads, The Kingston Trio - that are supposed to evoke a bygone era. My only problem is that I HAD all those albums in my collection - OK NOT the Dick Contino album which was also on the all - making me feel kinda...dated.
The menu consisted of bar favorites but I chose the blackened catfish which arrived with a garnish of green beans and sweet potatoes after a tolerable wait spent watching the mostly youngish crowd. The fish was as advertised and I was pleased to see that it was not a gigantic-impossible-to-finish portion but reasonable in size and price. I finished everything on my plate and washed it down with a draft Tremont ale or two.

1  Thank StephenCopenhagen
Reviewed June 26, 2009

From the outside you'll think you're in the wrong place, but if you like great food in a truly eclectic atmosphere (decor, clientele, and more), then this is a can't miss. The only place I order catfish -- the potato side is incredible. And there's always a pork option that's a good choice -- I don't even ask how they prepare it -- if they are serving it, it will be great. Cash only, and tables aren't huge.