“4th of July Weekend and following week.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
California
“4th of July Weekend and following week.”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We had a wonderful time here! We found Cristiana to be very interesting, very informative and very hospitable to us. Our breakfasts were always fresh and generous. The room was comfortable and the upstairs balcony a nice private place to sit and have a cocktail & cigar at the end of the day. Cristiana is very knowledgable about places to see and how to get there. She provided us with brochures, books and maps to get around. We would stay there again if we ever get back to Boston. Contrary to other reviews we had rest, hospitality, privacy, and "quiet enjoyment"
Thank you Cristiana for a great time in your city!!
Jay & Eileen

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank travelinon52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
toronto
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We booked in here with friends but after just a few minutes inside realized we couldn't possibly stay here. It was unbelievably cluttered, it smelled, there were taxidermy animals in a few places and far from being pet friendly, the innkeeper insisted our friend's dog be caged and absolutely quiet the whole time, or would have to stay in their car, which would be parked a distance away on a dark street. When we told her we couldn't stay, she jumped in our friends' car and refused to leave! She insisted we pay the full rate for four nights or she would stay in the car. So we did, just to get out of there. We've stayed in B&B's around the world and this was the absolute worst ever. I wouldn't recommend it even to someone I didn't like.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the taxidermy animals
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bagspackedToronto
bunkerhillbandb, Owner at Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
According to the agreement for this client signed to book her stay at Bunker Hill Bed & Breakfast, as clearly outlined on my site, a full deposit is required prior to arrival and the balance for the stay is due upon arrival. Many of the costs involved in preparing a room at a bed & breakfast for a guest, such as purchasing breakfast items, have already been an expense for me as a B & B owner before the actual arrival of the guest. Therefore, for a guest to expect to take one look at rooms that are all already advertised in full-color, detailed photos on my website and claim that she has changed her mind about her stay is a significant financial liability for me as a small business owner.

I certainly did not intend to inconvenience my client in any way by sitting in her car to prevent her from attempting to dodge her responsibility to pay for the rooms she booked as agreed in writing, but working as a small business operation, I don’t have the same kind of recourse for pursuing legal action that large hotel chains do, nor can I absorb costs the way they can. This client put me in an extremely difficult position by attempting to renege on her binding financial agreement with me, and I handled the situation with as much grace as I knew how.

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

South
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Absolutly horrible. There is one lady who runs the joint and is miserable beware of scams and your pivacy. Do yourself a favor and stay away. We had to stay out front and wait for her to come home to let us in. She was not there when she said she would be! Thank God that the two gentlemen who lived upstairs let us in. I would hate for anyone to go through what we went through! Just look at the other reviews.

• Liked — when we left
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank sweethSouth
london
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We had a terrible experience at this B&B . The bedroom was spacious but the bed linen and towels were not fresh. The bed had a large piece of lumpy foam rubber over the filthy mattress.
The breakfast table was set out for a banquet ...but sadly we were offered a small bowl of fruit and that was all. We asked for bread and we were given frozen stuff which I would hesitate to name bread. Please do not waste your money on this establishment. The experience soured my view of a beautiful city.

• Liked — the lady was friendly
  • Disliked — The Bed. bed linen, breakfast...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveloften70
dayton
Reviewed September 8, 2007

With the hope of keeping other travellers from making the same mistake that we (and others) made, I'm posting this article a bit late. However, be assured that the other comments shared on this site are consistent with our experience. Be assured that there are some advantages to staying in this inn. We found the location to provide adequate accessibility to the city of Boston. In addition, the innkeeper provided us with the use of her personal guest passes to be used for several tourist sites, including the museums. However, that is the limit of the positives. Consider the following: (1) Accessibility to our upstairs room was very inconveneient, having to walk up a narrow spiral stair case. (2) Breakfast was very poor.....cold cereal and day old fruit plates are not the norm for a B&B. (3) Rules such as "no eating in the room" and "don't use the whirlpool past 8 PM" feel confining. (4) The room was not clean when we arrived. We had to request that it be cleaned, even after we were told that it was ready. When the innkeeper offered me a 10% discount, if I paid in advance via check, I should have known that this was not simply a positive gesture. Had I reserved the room using a credit card, I may have had some recourse. However, we were stuck and thus endured. The upside? We've had some great stories to explain to our friends! There are plenty of very nice places in Boston....spend an additional 20% if necesssary and enjoy one of them!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled with family
5 Thank cwmoore
Clovis, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I do not need to restate the negative comments about this place or the proprietor, as they have been amply outlined in many previous commentaries contained on this website. Nor will I ignore directions contained herein regarding profanity, threats, or reports of violent criminal activity-only to state that these actions were directed towards my wife and I, who were the paying quests, and did not originate from us. The police incident report, dated the night of August 2, 2007, will outline the substance of our complaint.

If you are seeking rest, hospitality, privacy, and "quiet enjoyment", this is NOT the place for you!!!

We have enjoyed our numerous B&B experiences both prior to and directly following this event. Don't become a victim and let this place ruin your opportunity to do the same.

Stayed August 2007
9 Thank Advisor_Traveler_7
bunkerhillbandb, Owner at Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
I would like to clarify the specific details of the situation referenced here, so that TripAdvisor readers will be aware of the illegal actions of the client. Contrary to the client's misleading account in this review, the true facts of the night of August 2, 2007 is that the guest's refusal to pay as well as his refusal to leave, gave me no alternative but to call the police.
On 8/2/07 at 8:57 pm, after my client repeatedly refused to pay for two nights he intended to stay in addition to the ones he had already paid, I had no choice but to involve the police. At that time, the officers assigned to my case came to my bed & breakfast to remove the guest in question. Officers asked the suspect and his wife to pack their belongings and remove themselves from the property. The suspect gave the officers a hard time and reluctantly and slowly packed his things and was escorted off of the premises.
At that time, I informed the police of the details leading up to this client’s refusal to pay for nights he attempted to stay as follows: I received a request reserving a double room at Bunker Hill Bed & Breakfast from 7/28/07 to 8/3/07 for a 6-night stay. Since the guest needed to occupy the room prior to my standard check-in time of 4 pm, the guest agreed to purchase an additional night, bringing the total amount of nights to 7. He sent a check for the first five nights, agreeing settle his balance of the remaining two nights owed in person at arrival. He did not keep his word.
Since he was arriving on a red-eyed flight at 6:00 am, I had informed him that 8 am was the earliest check-in time available and suggested that he have coffee at the airport while waiting, as I had guests I could not have disturbed any earlier than 8am. Despite my request, I received a call from him at 6:00 am, which I screened via caller id, given that the arrangements we had agreed to earlier were non-negotiable. Fifteen minutes later, he arrived at my door and disturbed my guests and myself from our sleep by alternately knocking aggressively on the door and ringing the doorbell.
On the fifth night of my customer’s stay, I requested payment for the additional two nights he planned on staying. At first, he refused to pay. The next morning, he paid me half of what he owed for the previous night’s stay. At that time, I informed him that without full payment, I could not allow him to continue his stay. It was at that point that the client’s refusal to pay for nights he intended to stay, or to cut short his visit precipitated my call to the police.
In managing this bed and breakfast for over 14 years, I have never had an experience like this one. My bed & breakfast has been devoted to providing my customers with the best possible experience to successfully attract many repeat customers. My motto is based on the principle that my home is your home. This guest’s disorderly and unreasonable conduct does not represent the character of my clientele in general, and I would not feel safe running this establishment if that were the case.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2007

One of the charms of staying at a Bed and Breakfast is feeling the warmth of a small inn and enjoying the hospitality provided. At the Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast, I felt like I was visiting a well-intentioned but overbearing family member. Several times during our stay, I felt uncomfortable with how much the innkeeper intruded upon our conversations, inquired about our comings and goings, and told us her life story. It made our stay at the inn, which had the potential to be relaxing, very frustrating.

As far as the actual accommodations- the rooms were fine-bed was comfortable and the bathroom, down the hall from my room had a jetted tub, which was restricted from late night use. The television in my room was tiny and far away from the bed. As noted in previous reviews, the rooms are cluttered with an amazing amount of unrelated knick-knacks. The bathroom contained a number of rubber ducks!

Breakfast was fine-cereal, fruit, and sausages reheated, which were leftovers from another job the innkeeper has. I wish I were joking about the reheated sausages, but that's what she told us!

On the plus side, she does take dogs, which many B&Bs do not. We brought two dogs, who she adored, but she was also concerned about their effect on her inn. While this was understandable, if you're going to have dogs in your B&B, you have to expect that they won't be perfect! She also bought us and the dogs arrival gifts (stuffed animals and candy), which was very kind.

In sum, stay away from here-Boston has many other great hotels and B&Bs.

• Liked — The free candy
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Baltimoron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Constitution Inn
Constitution Inn
#80 of 83 in Boston
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf
Kimpton Onyx Hotel
#35 of 83 in Boston
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,376 reviews
Moroccan Luxury Suites Boston

Been to Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!