“Worst place EVER!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #34 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Absolutly horrible. There is one lady who runs the joint and is miserable beware of scams and your pivacy. Do yourself a favor and stay away. We had to stay out front and wait for her to come home to let us in. She was not there when she said she would be! Thank God that the two gentlemen who lived upstairs let us in. I would hate for anyone to go through what we went through! Just look at the other reviews.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank sweethSouth
There are newer reviews for Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed May 20, 2008

We had a terrible experience at this B&B . The bedroom was spacious but the bed linen and towels were not fresh. The bed had a large piece of lumpy foam rubber over the filthy mattress.
The breakfast table was set out for a banquet ...but sadly we were offered a small bowl of fruit and that was all. We asked for bread and we were given frozen stuff which I would hesitate to name bread. Please do not waste your money on this establishment. The experience soured my view of a beautiful city.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveloften70
Reviewed September 8, 2007

With the hope of keeping other travellers from making the same mistake that we (and others) made, I'm posting this article a bit late. However, be assured that the other comments shared on this site are consistent with our experience. Be assured that there are some advantages to staying in this inn. We found the location to provide adequate accessibility to the city of Boston. In addition, the innkeeper provided us with the use of her personal guest passes to be used for several tourist sites, including the museums. However, that is the limit of the positives. Consider the following: (1) Accessibility to our upstairs room was very inconveneient, having to walk up a narrow spiral stair case. (2) Breakfast was very poor.....cold cereal and day old fruit plates are not the norm for a B&B. (3) Rules such as "no eating in the room" and "don't use the whirlpool past 8 PM" feel confining. (4) The room was not clean when we arrived. We had to request that it be cleaned, even after we were told that it was ready. When the innkeeper offered me a 10% discount, if I paid in advance via check, I should have known that this was not simply a positive gesture. Had I reserved the room using a credit card, I may have had some recourse. However, we were stuck and thus endured. The upside? We've had some great stories to explain to our friends! There are plenty of very nice places in Boston....spend an additional 20% if necesssary and enjoy one of them!

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled with family
5  Thank cwmoore
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I do not need to restate the negative comments about this place or the proprietor, as they have been amply outlined in many previous commentaries contained on this website. Nor will I ignore directions contained herein regarding profanity, threats, or reports of violent criminal activity-only to state that these actions were directed towards my wife and I, who were the paying quests, and did not originate from us. The police incident report, dated the night of August 2, 2007, will outline the substance of our complaint.

If you are seeking rest, hospitality, privacy, and "quiet enjoyment", this is NOT the place for you!!!

We have enjoyed our numerous B&B experiences both prior to and directly following this event. Don't become a victim and let this place ruin your opportunity to do the same.

Stayed: August 2007
9  Thank Advisor_Traveler_7
bunkerhillbandb, Owner at Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2011

I would like to clarify the specific details of the situation referenced here, so that TripAdvisor readers will be aware of the illegal actions of the client. Contrary to the client's misleading account in this review, the true facts of the night of August 2, 2007 is that the guest's refusal to pay as well as his refusal to leave, gave me no alternative but to call the police.
On 8/2/07 at 8:57 pm, after my client repeatedly refused to pay for two nights he intended to stay in addition to the ones he had already paid, I had no choice but to involve the police. At that time, the officers assigned to my case came to my bed & breakfast to remove the guest in question. Officers asked the suspect and his wife to pack their belongings and remove themselves from the property. The suspect gave the officers a hard time and reluctantly and slowly packed his things and was escorted off of the premises.
At that time, I informed the police of the details leading up to this client’s refusal to pay for nights he attempted to stay as follows: I received a request reserving a double room at Bunker Hill Bed & Breakfast from 7/28/07 to 8/3/07 for a 6-night stay. Since the guest needed to occupy the room prior to my standard check-in time of 4 pm, the guest agreed to purchase an additional night, bringing the total amount of nights to 7. He sent a check for the first five nights, agreeing settle his balance of the remaining two nights owed in person at arrival. He did not keep his word.
Since he was arriving on a red-eyed flight at 6:00 am, I had informed him that 8 am was the earliest check-in time available and suggested that he have coffee at the airport while waiting, as I had guests I could not have disturbed any earlier than 8am. Despite my request, I received a call from him at 6:00 am, which I screened via caller id, given that the arrangements we had agreed to earlier were non-negotiable. Fifteen minutes later, he arrived at my door and disturbed my guests and myself from our sleep by alternately knocking aggressively on the door and ringing the doorbell.
On the fifth night of my customer’s stay, I requested payment for the additional two nights he planned on staying. At first, he refused to pay. The next morning, he paid me half of what he owed for the previous night’s stay. At that time, I informed him that without full payment, I could not allow him to continue his stay. It was at that point that the client’s refusal to pay for nights he intended to stay, or to cut short his visit precipitated my call to the police.
In managing this bed and breakfast for over 14 years, I have never had an experience like this one. My bed & breakfast has been devoted to providing my customers with the best possible experience to successfully attract many repeat customers. My motto is based on the principle that my home is your home. This guest’s disorderly and unreasonable conduct does not represent the character of my clientele in general, and I would not feel safe running this establishment if that were the case.

Reviewed July 19, 2007

One of the charms of staying at a Bed and Breakfast is feeling the warmth of a small inn and enjoying the hospitality provided. At the Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast, I felt like I was visiting a well-intentioned but overbearing family member. Several times during our stay, I felt uncomfortable with how much the innkeeper intruded upon our conversations, inquired about our comings and goings, and told us her life story. It made our stay at the inn, which had the potential to be relaxing, very frustrating.

As far as the actual accommodations- the rooms were fine-bed was comfortable and the bathroom, down the hall from my room had a jetted tub, which was restricted from late night use. The television in my room was tiny and far away from the bed. As noted in previous reviews, the rooms are cluttered with an amazing amount of unrelated knick-knacks. The bathroom contained a number of rubber ducks!

Breakfast was fine-cereal, fruit, and sausages reheated, which were leftovers from another job the innkeeper has. I wish I were joking about the reheated sausages, but that's what she told us!

On the plus side, she does take dogs, which many B&Bs do not. We brought two dogs, who she adored, but she was also concerned about their effect on her inn. While this was understandable, if you're going to have dogs in your B&B, you have to expect that they won't be perfect! She also bought us and the dogs arrival gifts (stuffed animals and candy), which was very kind.

In sum, stay away from here-Boston has many other great hotels and B&Bs.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Baltimoron
Reviewed October 12, 2006

This bed and breakfast consisted of small cluttered rooms. Our room, the Nautical room was so cluttered there was no place to unpack our bags. Every drawer was full. Our bed was not made the first night and when we asked why , we were told it was not part of the service. However, when we insisted , our hostess did make our bed each morning. Our "full home cook breakfasts" were twice fruit plates and the fruit was starting to spoil! There was only 1 hot breakfast in 4 meals. Additionnally, there was a small sliver of glass in the raisins. We were requested to leave one hour and fifteen minutes before the usual checkout time because the hostess had an appointment. As we left, the the other guest said to us, "This place does not get any repeat business." We laughed in agreement, one of the few sources of pleasure at this b&b.

Stayed: October 2006
9  Thank whiskersandfifi
Reviewed July 19, 2006

The owner is nice, but we did not have a good experience.
This is not what I expect from the title Bed & breakfast. This was more like staying at "your weird aunt's house". The place is overflowing with knicknacks, so much so that we were afraid to turnaround too quickly, for fear of breaking something. There is no common area other than the very small deck and equally small breakfast nook. You literally get a bedroom.

1. We got the 2nd floor room, because we paid extra to have the whirlpool bath. However, the rules for using the bath, permitted it only during mid-day hours, because of "water restrictions". So that was annoying, but the problem was there was no hot water after the 1st night of our 3 night stay. Yes, just tepid water, not very luxurious for your whirlpool bath.
2. The 2nd floor room and bath, are accessed by a narrow spiral staircase, so there is no lock for your room during the day.
3. The location is advertised as being convenient to the T station and bus. It was right on the busline, but a hike to the T station.
4. There Was NO Hot Water!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple