“Extremely disappointing encounter.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Yesterday afternoon I was driving with my 18 month old son over to Beacon Hill from our home in Charlestown to pick up my two older children from school. As I was pulling on to Pickney Street at 3:10 pm, I noticed a truck leaving a designated school pick-up parking spot. As the truck was leaving, I put my blinker on to indicate that I was planning to park. I then pulled up in order to back into the spot, looked in my rear view mirror and noticed a car pulling into the spot head first. I was shocked. I rolled my window down and said to the driver that this was a designated school pick-up spot from 3-6 pm. She yelled out of her window that she had commercial plates and that she had every right to jump in and steal the spot. It turns out, as the sign on her car indicated, that she is the owner of the Bunker Hill Bed and Breakfast. In fact, she is practically my neighbor. I was so disappointed. One would hope that a person who is welcoming strangers into her home would treat her own neighbors with courtesy and respect.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank Peggy B

Reviewed January 4, 2012

I've debated for more than a month now writing this review. I made a booking before I found some of the other reviews for this place. Most of them (on other websigts) are negative. Some of them were so negative I just sort of scratched my head - could it have really been as bad as some said it was? Well, it certainly wasn't up to my expectations.

I've done a lot of traveling, both in the US and in Europe. This was one of the poorest quality B&B's I'd ever stayed at. The property was beautiful. Nice old house with lots of character. At the point I was there though, there was a lot of clutter everywhere. I've been in houses with lots of antiques and stuff; most of this though was papers, magazines, video tapes, things the owner was "getting rid of". ect. Well, OK I thought, people do cleaning and things are sometimes in transition.

The drawers in our room though were so full of "stuff" there wasn't any place to put our luggage. We were there for about a week and three days into the stay; the room started to smell. I'd left the door open and the fans on. That helped some. At one point I wondered if it was our dirty laundry; but once I'd bagged that and the smell was still there - I knew that wasn't it. The bedding and the things in the room were not what was in the photo. There was more "stuff" in there than the photo on her web-sight showed.

The bathroom was fairly clean. It was a small shower; which was fine for me. I'm on crutches though and don't do lots of stairs fairly well. When I'd asked about a bathtub for my son; she'd said they were upstairs, but that my room did not have a tub. Before we came - she'd said we could use one of the upstairs tubs if we needed. When we arrived though; (I was the only guest there.) She refused saying my request was "unreasonable". She than asked if other B&B owners had let me use a tub that wasn't in our room. I said yes. When we were in England, our room didn't have a tub and when the guests in another room left; the owner let me use that tub to give my child a bath. When I told her this; she than said she didn't want the liability of me falling down the stairs. (So for a week, my son got sponge baths.)

I was traveling with a 9 year old child (my son) who is high functioning Autistic and likes particular things. I'd told the owner what he would eat and what he wouldn't. After the first two or so days, she argued and complained to me because my son wasn't eating his breakfasts. Than she said I didn't tell her his diatary restrictions - and I'd said yes I did. She had cantalope in the house that she'd said she'd bought for him, but at first did not want to cut it open because she'd already cut up a honeydew. (I ate the honeydew.) I told her he likes bananas, strawberries and cantalope. The first day she cut up a banana for him. I saw the banana she'd prepaired, it was nearly spoiled. The last day we were there, she'd given him a pair. That was nearly spoiled too. Other's had complained in other reviews of nearly spoiled fruit. I kept thinking - err; would someone trying to run a business really do that? Well, she did. Some of the breakfasts were OK; others though over cooked, toast was a little too done, waffles nearly burned. The coffee she'd given me the first day, I believe was instant (eventhough she denied this). She'd given us apple juice on the first day of which I'd requested cranberry juice. She proceeded to argue with me, saying cranberry juice is bad for my health. The following day, she had gone and got some though.

Christinne is a nice person, knows a lot about the area and the history of the area; but really needs to get out of the B&B business. I wrote this review on account of the ones I'd read that I wondered where they really that bad? I tried to be as objective as I could; but yeah, our experiance is not one I'd want to repete. The price she charged for what we got was not worth it at all and with all the arguments she'd given me - I wasn't about to ask for a refund. That likely would have been futile.

So thus yeah - If you're coming to Boston - stay some place else.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
12  Thank Renee N
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I recently spent four nights at this beautiful Victorian house, filled with an amazing array of antiques and victoriana, in historic Charlestown in Boston. The hostess, Christiane, could not have been more friendly and helpful. She was the perfect hostess and provided me with a hearty breakfast each morning before I set out to sample the delights of the great city. I had a suite to myself which included a Jacuzzi Bath and a fantastic King Size bed which ensured I slept really well.
This very comfortable Bed and Breakfast is just 5 minutes from the Bunker Hill memorial, great for history buffs, and a stones throw from the wonderful General Warren tavern, a pub with lots of revolutionary connections and offering a great menu. The USSS Constitution is a ten minute walk. It really is convenient for everything.
I thoroughly recommend this Bed and Breakfast which offered excellent value for money. Thankj You Christiane - I intend to return and am looking forward to it already.
Ray (UK)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I brought my dog for the first time on a business trip and chose this B&B for location and pet friendliness. The owner was wonderful with my German Shepherd. She walked him during the day. Breakfast was good, the bed was great. I understand people's complaints, but the place is clean, good value, and friendly. No reason to stay away, and many reasons to try it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2011

At the end of the day, I would stay here again. The hostess is friendly, and well-meaning, just scatter-brained and probably not in the right career. For example, my bathroom had very clearly not been cleaned by the time I arrived (even though I arrived well after the check-in time, and had notified her a few days before about what time I would be arriving). It was so bad I had to clean it myself. Luckily she had left cleaning supplies sitting out (see what I mean about her being scatter-brained). My linens, however, were completely clean. The house had a somewhat funky smell because she has a cat, and she frequently burned scented candles to cover it up. The breakfast was literally pre-wrapped cereal bars; that's it. The tv didn't even have basic cable. Those are the worst things. On the positive side, my room was clean, and the hostess provided lots of information about the area. Wireless internet was included. The neighborhood is pretty good too--it's residential, in a safe, friendly, historic Boston suburb, only a 15-minute busride to Faneuil Hall (or a lovely 30-minute walk). The B&B always felt safe and didn't have infestations or anything terrible like that. The price was much cheaper than most Charlestown B&Bs. So, ultimately, I would stay there again, and if you're looking for something relatively cheap & convenient, and don't need anything better than motel quality, it is a decent place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara42139
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Christianne starts from a different place to many bed and breakfasts. This is not a slick commercial operation. It is a small historic home in a fantastic location in Charlestown, just up the hill from the Bunker Hill Monument. The owner has furnished her home with an eclectic mixture of antiques and memorabilia, and offers two en suite rooms, a small breakfast area and use of her sitting room and deck. She took good care of us and although quite small our room, with a nautical theme was comfortable and we slept well. Compared with other prices we saw advertised in Boston we had good value, and returned happily after our sightseeing.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank astonman
Reviewed September 3, 2010

The proprietor met with a terrible stench and slurring while checking us in. The room smelled horrible. We were gagging. It smelled like sour milk, cheap wine and feet mixed. At first she tried to cover the problem. We walked to the local store to get three bottles of air freshener.

The breakfast provided was not even a snack. We were told that we could use the kitchen to make our own breakfast if the spoiled fruit provided was not enough, provided that we bought the groceries to make our own meal. cleaniness of sheets would provide enough light up under any csi lamp to be seen from the moon. There was enough hair in the drain to only assume that a dog had previously been shaved in the shower before our arrival. It was obvious that the innkeeper had better things to do then care about her guests. All during breakfast the phone was ringing and we could hear bill collectors leaving messages on the answering machine.

The proprietor herself was not bad, but my wife and I had never in our lives heard someone with such little education and poise go on about themselves for so long. There is nothing that you have done that this woman has not done better, faster and more times then you.

To call this a ‘fleabag’ B&B would be an unconscionable insult to both fleas and bags everywhere. In my 25 years of business travel, I have never experienced such a consistently, depressingly mediocre property.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business