“Fantastic Addition to West Roxbury!”
Review of The Porter Cafe

The Porter Cafe
Ranked #839 of 3,329 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Roxbury / Hyde Park / Roslindale
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Finally tried this great restaurant in my neighborhood. It IS small, that is the downside. Once you get a table it's a nice vibe but at prime times the wait can be long and there isn't much space to hang around in. The waitstaff was perfectly attentive and knowledgeable about the beers on tap, helping us with our selections. We had the burger and the fish and chips, both were perfect. Definitely the best fish and chips I've had, they came with the most delicious fresh cabbage slaw, not weighted with mayo as usual and had a fresh herb, I think tarragon. It was definitely a winner for us, we will be back! (go at an off time and you'll be happier :)

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Nestled in the last of a row of stores, the small bar and restaurant is a charming and delightful addition to the West Roxbury neighborhood restaurant scene. A short but satisfying menu that ranges from burgers to a braised pork shank that is to die for and to fish, including oysters both cooked and raw, that is complimented by a large selection of beers from Miller High Life for the less adventurous to Westmalle Dubbel Trappist Ale from Belgium. Wine list is short with no Italian but good.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I love a good spot for a tasty burger, especially if it serves a more varied menu for other occasions and for my husband's palate. So, Porter looked like so. My burger was cooked rare when I ordered it medium; it was corrected but the second was poorly seasoned. My husband enjoyed his baked cod. The atmosphere was ok--busy--but with a feel of popularity and good place to eat. I liked that. Then, my husband mis-added the tip onto the total ($10 to the favor of Porter); when I saw this on the credit card bill, I was reminded of my rare burger and surprised that the error was not corrected. I'll ration my return trips to Porter.

Been to The Porter Cafe? Share your experiences!