“Braised Cheeks to die for”
Review of Boston Chops

Boston Chops
Reserve with OpenTable
Boston Chops is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South End
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Braised Cheeks are to die for!!. Great meat, well presented and cooked to perfection. Really nice long bar, great cocktails good selection of beers. Classy but not, too classy.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Took my family to celebrate my 60th birthday. the restaurant had been recommended to me by a few friends . Called to late to get a reservation but they told me they had open seating on the outside patio and in the bar area. So we took a chance and got a table in the bar area. High top table/booth separated from the main dining area by a half wall. We had a great waitress. Very pleasant and attentive. Five of us had the streak frites with different cuts of meat. All were great. One of my sons had the scallops and said it was the best meal he has ever had. Being 23 , his only complaint was he wished they gave him more scallops. We had some nice wine and shared a few desserts. The atmosphere was great and we had a really fun time as a family. It is expensive but worth it.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was excited to eat at Boston Chops following a recommendation from a local. Despite some excellent food, they gave what I can only describe as a masterclass in abysmal customer service. We sat down to eat at 8.45pm and our main courses did not arrive until 10.15pm. I would not have been writing such a bad review if they had handled this clearly unacceptable wait a little better. When I queried where our mains were, noting when we had sat down to eat, I was asked 'are you sure?'. Check the record of our reservation, lady, yes, I'm sure we sat down to eat at 8.45pm. I had to get up from the table to find a manager to complain after we got no response from our waitress to my initial query about why the food was taking so long. Eventually I was told our order had 'got behind' and that was why we were still waiting. Inexperienced staff, total lack of ownership of the problem , and arrogant management. If they had offered a couple of complementary glasses of wine whilst we were waiting, money off the bill to make up for the wait, an apology, and some indication of how long it would take, I might have considered a return visit. If you enjoy a 90 minute wait for food, being treated with contempt by the arrogant management, and paying $175 for the privilege - i would highly recommend this restaurant.......

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I think chef/owner Chris Combs has another win here. Everything was terrific, the food , the service, the atmosphere, all of it!

Let's start with the service and say "exceptional." The best table service I've ever had in any restaurant. They were attentive without being in the way and did everything with integrity and finesse. The food was just delightful. We started by sharing a stack of onion rings and one off of the "Rarely Celebrated" list, Chicken Fried Sweetbreads, at the recommendation of our server. It was a hit with everyone at the table even the pickiest of us. We all had the steak frites, each with a different steak and different sauce. There was not a bad steak on the table and all done to perfection. The best part is your steak comes on a plate with some tossed greens, arugula if I recall correctly. The fries follow from a big bowl and they put a portion on your plate. I initially thought "hmmm not many fries with that." Before long the bowl returned to your table with another hot batch of crispy, golden, fries, and they offered another serving. Perfect, perfect, perfect! Finally, a place that knows how to make good french fries too.

They have a great wine list though mostly in the higher price ranges. This would be my one critique because there's plenty of great wines out there at more moderate prices. We finished the meal by sharing a single, sticky dessert! Yummy!

This is a must visit.

1  Thank DRaymond
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had a great birthday dinner with my sister and brother-in-law. Service was excellent; one of those places where your water glass is refilled so quickly and discreetly that you don't even realize they've been there. Knowledgeable and courteous wait staff and amazing food.

Three of the four of us got red meat (their specialty) and everyone thought their dishes were very flavorful. I had the halibut and it was excellent and beautifully proportioned. Brother-in-law got the cheeks for an appetizer and thought it was very good and something less usual.

One of our party has food allergies and the restaurant was very accommodating, asked great questions about how to support her, and replaced oils and cooking pans that might otherwise have been reused with all fresh supplies.