“Loved it”
Review of Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #221 of 3,227 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
nj
“Loved it”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

When I heard we were going to be in Boston with a large group of people for my birthday this is where I wanted to go. I was not disappointed. We love Blue Ginger, his is so different but just as delicious. Because we were a large group they took a reservation and we literally ordered everything on the menu. It was so much fun.

Visited April 2013

Boston
“the second visit was even better than the first...Food fresh, fresh, fresh”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This building was an old deli that had been shuttered for years. The minute the Blue Dragon weathervane went up on the roof, I knew it would be special. The interior is beautiful from the waterfall on the wall to the restrooms reminiscent of the bathroom at the house in the Boca Raton Yamato Museum. The buidling has been thoroughly planned and opened in February to catch an auspicious end of the Chinese year. The place is clean, clean, clean too.

If you know Ming Tsai from his PBS cooking shows, he's not only working in the restaurant, very unusual for a celebrity chef to be on premises, his food reflects the style of casual plates with purposeful combinations of flavors, textures and ingredients. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Staff is warm and welcoming. This is not strictly "Chinese" food, this is Ming food. Not only that, he's created a go-to hang out spot that is off the beaten path of places to eat in the Seaport. Pretty soon, with all the construction along A street, he will be in the middle of the action. This is a great location.

The first time I went to Blue Dragon, it was the second day that the restaurant was open. I placed a lunch order to go, as a walk-in. I got the Hot and Sour Tomato Soup. It's a great soup and you get a kick of heat on the back of your tongue afterwards. Should have a grilled cheese with jalapenos to accompany it! But I actually got something btter than grilled cheese-a Banh Mi. This is awonderful take on an Asian Street food sandwich. There are 6 choices for fillings, I selected a Stir Fry Vegetable with Caramelized Onion Aioli and Mushroom Pate. Many restaurants skip the pate, but it should be there to be a true Banh Mi. This sandwich comes on an Iggy's bagette with pickled veggies (yum) and cucumbers. Each bite explodes in your mouth and it is a marvel that you can get this lunch bag, replete wilth a Blue Dragon paper banner stapled on. for $12.00.

The second time (yesterday) I went to Blue Dragon, I sat with a friend at a counter that ran along the windows so that we could talk and enjoy the first sunny day in a long time. My lunch choice was Teriyaki Salmon with Soba Noodle Salad. A very large bowl was presented, there was a generous salmon filet on the top which was cooked to perfection with a teriyaki sauce and sesame seed glaze. Under that was an array of cut veggies radiating out from the center like sun rays. Under that was some very tender but crisp Chinese cabbage. Under that, like a buried treasure, warm soba noodles in a delicious wasabi vinaigrette. I decided to cut up the salmon, mix all of the veggies and noodles together and have a taste of the veg, salmon and noodle in each mouthful.

The restaurant has a lunch, afternoon and dinner menu. There is a web ordering tool...Since I was there there is a notice on the websitne that they may not be able to accomodate phone or walk-in orders. While I was waiting for my first visit's to-go order, I saw many people walk in, show a receipt and walk out with their fookd in under 5 minutes. A very efficient, well thought out process for people who want to grab 'n' go.

So now I'm thinking about picking up a little something on my way home today. or tomorrow going in for lunch.. I can highly recommend what looked like ywo wonderful lunches- the Asian Sloppy Joe and the Dan Dan Noodles. I saw both heading to tables yesterday and wished that they had a sampler plate!

The dishes are very reasonably priced, especially when compared to the chain restaurants in the area. Also, they do not use peanuts or tree nuts in their cooking. Ming's kids have allergies, and this is one place that I think anyone with allergies would feel comfortable eating here.

The sad thing is that they are not open on Sunday....But that's the day to go to Lucky's anyways.

How to find Blue Dragon? From South Station, walk over the bridge, at next light turn right onto Melcher Street. Restaurant is on your left almost at the corner of A street. If its too crowded, or you want to check out Lucky's stroll left onto A street, Lucky's is on your right, has no sign, at the corner of Congress.
If you need a map go to the website, There's validated evening parking with a $5..discount if you want to drive in. Blue Dragon is open from 11:30 am to 1 am.

This is a great find for natives and tourists alike, foodies will enjoy the place and, even if Ming is working, you will get to see Tom Woods and Dan Haley dispensing the Ming food gospel. They do have drinks, beers and wines too.

Vancouver
“The food is amazing!!!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We read about the Blue Dragon in the Globe and Mail prior to our trip to Boston and thought we had to check it out. It was sooo worth it. We went to the Blue Dragon on a Friday night and it was packed! We were advised that the wait would be 1 1/2 hours but only ended up being about 50 minutes. There were three of us so we ordered several smaller plates and shared. The shrimp shumai, bison mini burgers and Indonesian shepherd's pie were some of the amazing dishes we tried. So flavourful. Despite the fact that we were full we had to order THE COOKIE. It comes to your table warm, in a small skillet with melting chocolate chips and ice cream. It was more than ample for three of us! Our server was Alex. He was very personable and made us feel so welcome. He was also incredibly knowledgeable about the food and definitely helped us make our food selections.

Nashua, New Hampshire
“Great atmosphere. So-So Food. Nicely priced.”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The building from the outside is weird, but the inside is beautiful and "fancy". The atmosphere in this place is great, fun people, nice music (even though loud @ times). Service is wonderful, super friendly waitress.

The food is "ok". I love spicy asian cuisine, but @ BD nothing really impressed me. Again the food is good but not what I would have expected from a brand new asian not too far from Meyer's and Chang (still the best Modern Chinese in Boston in my opinion).. What was the Hummus platter doing on the menu???? The Octopus was good but lacked Ounf! The escargots were excellent. The Dan Dan noodles, potstickers etc.. were just ok. The cake with its 2000 calories was delish.

I will go back that's for sure ( I can't see myself having lunch there) but for the ambiance, atmosphere and crowd but NOT for the food.

BTW this place is not expensive. I was there with my wife, we ate a lot and were full toward the end, plus 2 beers it came out 90$.. again not too much for such a dinner. However prices of cocktails seemed steep @ 12$ a drink (unfortunately 12 is becoming the new 10 !!!).

san diego, california
“First time lunch, next visit dinner”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The lunch menu is a bit limited but what the three of us ordered, we enjoyed. The cocktails, Year of the Pig with Whistlepig rye whiskey, smooth and powerful with Aperol to finish it just right. Malay club with black pepper gin and citrus, another winner.
The Asian sloppy Joe had a kick in the Sambal aioli and loaded with ground beef and slaw. Peppered shrimp sandwich on local bread with jicama salad, tasty, the jicama complimented the bay sized shrimp. Pork and scallion wontons were tender and moist and a great appetizer.
For non meat eaters, the tofu soaked in cold smoked jasmine tea was the best ever tofu.
We want to come back to have dinner and explore the menu more because Ming puts out delicious Asian food with different twists.