“The BEST Boston Ghost Tour- and I've been on 3 of them.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Boston Ghost & Legends Lantern Tour - Private Tours
Ranked #87 of 142 Tours in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn about Boston's macabre past and its dark shrouded history of witches, executions, strange events, ghastly court records, and ancient tunnels. Long before the "BIG DIG" (the nickname of our underground highway project, which became the largest public works project in history), ghoulish creatures have been known to roam secret tunnels below Boston's north end. Hear spine tingling tales on the lantern tour as you walk through the city by candlelight through the dark alleys and little used corridors. You will discover another side of the city that most have never seen. SEE BOSTON BY NIGHT on this amazing and interesting tour. Professional guides will walk you through the most historic parts of the city. Narrating the tour at certain points of interest, and answering your many questions along the way.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The BEST Boston Ghost Tour- and I've been on 3 of them.”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I'm finally getting a chance to write a review of the Boston Ghost & Legends Lantern tour. I think that this is Bostons best ghost tour. I have been on three ghost tours with different companies in the city (I have lived in Boston for 5 years and am a huge history and ghost fan).
- This tour gives you all the really interesting stories about haunted Boston, but also mixes in a lot of history, which the other tours don't. You get to see the historic sites and learn about them (Boston massacre, tea party, etc) as WELL as hear the ghost stuff. If you are a tourist this is great, because you are essentially getting the Boston walking history tour plus a ghost tour in one.
- The price is right. This is one of the cheaper tours, and there are usually deals on Groupon. If you dont have a Groupon maybe call them and ask if they offer the Groupon price? I have no idea if they honor it but they might.
- The other ghost tour where you take the trolly is very theatrical. However it is very expensive, and (as a history buff) I noticed that a TON of the stuff they say is incorrect, and not true. They are more of an urban legend tour. I'm interested in hearing the REAL stuff.
- Its a great length of time. Not too long, but not too short.
- This IS a walking tour, which I like best. Because you even get to go INSIDE the haunted hotel, your not on a bus being pointed to things out the window like the duck tours. It just seems more authentic being able to actually see, feel, hear and step into these places. You can seriously feel the history. They are also accomodating and will find you a bathroom if you need. As someone with 2 kids, this really helped. One of the other Boston ghost tours I was on would not stop, even when I explained that my 8 year old son needed to use a restroom. I was told go if we want, but we'd have to try to catch up because they couldn't wait.
- The meetup in Fanuiel Hall / Quincy Market. This is great if you want to get a bite to eat, or grab a few beers befor eor after, because you are right in the center of things surrounded by tons of restaurants and shopping places.
- They operate year round...have tours in the fall, winter, spring summer. the other tour companies are seasonal, so i think its pretty cool that we were able to go on a tour in January when all the other places were closed, and the groups were smaller- it was almost a private tour, only 2 other people. Got to ask a lot of questions and got extra time.

PS: A couple of the other reviews posted about the wrong tour (you can tell by the pictures). That's the other tour company.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank Alicia G

Clayton, North Carolina, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Tour! A must do on your trip to Boston!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My sister and I did this tour last night and it was great. Jim was our guide and he was awesome! It was very informative and very entertaining. I will do this again on my next trip to Boston.

Visited November 2013
Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Historic Night Tour”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My daughter bought the tickets through Groupon, so we got two tickets for $25. We had Jim D., and he was very good at entertaining us with his ghost tales and history. This was a very enjoyable tour for us, but don't expect to see any spirits or orbs. If you like history, you'll be glad you went! The lanterns are a nice hand warmer!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Renee J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Quirky experience, fun time”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had a Groupon for this, so my rating is based on paying $25 for TWO people (I WOULDN'T have done it for $25 EACH). This was a nice fall activity. The tour lasted 2 hours (we were told 90 minutes, but I certainly don't mind more...) and we got a good mix of ghost tales and history of Boston. The lanterns weren't really needed, but it was more fun with a warm lantern in your hand. You could tell the tour guides had passion for their subject matter and the stories were a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend this for the price we paid.

Tips: Make sure you have water and comfortable shoes.

Visited October 2013
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ask for Jim D.!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We found tickets on Groupon and it was a great deal for two. We arrived on the dot at 8 to a small and cozy group with a very energetic guide. Jim was in short, amazing. He knew all sorts of little things about the local history. He talked of Charles Dickens, all the classic Boston figure heads, the Boston Massacre, he talked of his own history and the Jim Denton that participated in the Boston riots, referenced some old serial killers stories such as one James Allen who wrote his own memoir and had it bound in his own flesh after his death . Jim talked of his ghost hunting experience and told us many stories that made your skin crawl. He was engaging and even when walking from place to place the stories kept rolling. Would do this again in a heartbeat.

Very surprised at the other reviews that were low, all I can say is ask for Jim D., you won't be disappointed.

Visited September 2013