“Absolutely Delicious”

Vejigantes Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vejigantes Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #726 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South End
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I got to try this place for the first time on our Bites of Boston tour. We were amazed! The beef empanadas were absolutely delicious and being a hispanic I've had my share of empanadas and these were the best. Then came the soup which was perhaps one of the best soups both of us have ever had. Crema de Plantano de Dona Carmen don't miss it. We went back for dinner the next night.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The paella of seafood was so good full of seafood,the skirt steak was perfectly done and the el tren was lbster and shrimp with mash yuca oh dear so good !! Pur server jesus the best.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Recently I was missing Puerto Rican food so much. I was wishing there was a real Puerto Rican restaurant in Boston where I could run. Then to my surprise only a few days later I was browsing a website where I read about this place. I, a Puerto Rican, had high expectations. I had to wait a whole week since my schedule was busy but finally I would have a chance to try Puerto Rican food out at a restaurant in Boston. (For us Puerto Ricans no one can cook as good as our mothers and grandmothers can. Keep that in mind when reading my review.)

Upon arriving we discovered they had free valet parking, which we utilized. We sat inside by the windows which were kept open although the A/C was on. The decor is very reminiscent of Puerto Rico. A mix of Old San Juan's typical colored buildings, a replica street name sign of one of the most well known streets in Old San Juan. Great choice in selecting which street to replicate as it is an important Saint in Puerto Rico. There is even a HUGE celebration annually to remember this- San Sebastian.
The place is a bit dark but at night it seems it adds ambiance with a lighted wall full of decor, and tables lit with candles. There are multiple TVs mounted on the walls showing different cities and towns throughout the island. As well as important historically structures, etc.

The menu, which I couldn't find on their website (seems they are still working on it), offers a great variety of typical Puerto Rican specialities. We started with two shakes. I had a parcha (passion fruit) shake. My friend also ordered a passion fruit shake but the waiter returned to tell us he only had enough for one so he got a banana one instead and said it was great. I asked my friend if I could select the appetizers for us. I was so thrilled to try surullitos de maiz. Growing up in Puerto Rico we always ate these. They are a pain to make but so tasty. I was a bit disappointed with their size as they were super skinny tiny things. Normally they are rather thick. However, they tasted exactly as they should and were served with mayokechup!! I also ordered bacalaitos which were okay but for me a bit too greasy. My friend enjoyed them. Lastly we ordered alcapurias. Those were delicious. I wish we had more than just two.

For an entree I choose the mofongo con cerdo accompanied by tostones de panapen, and maduros tradicionales. My friend, unsure of what he should get, ordered mofongo con pollo with arroz con gandules and pure de malanga. The pure was served cold and was quite bland. It was white malanga not the purple kind which is usually a bit more stringy. I wouldn't recommend the malanga. The rice with pigeon peas was good and also had pieces of pork shoulder in it just the way it is cooked in Puerto Rico. The tostones de panapen were excellent and oddly served with mayokechup. I've never eaten panapen with mayokechup but I tried it and liked it. My mofongo was perfect! Exactly as a mofongo should be. Although it wasn't served floating in the broth, it was served along side a ramekin of broth for dipping.

I couldn't even finish all my food so I took more than half of it home with me and ate it for lunch the next day. The mofongo was even better then the night I had it at the restaurant. We finished our dinner with two cups of Puerto Rican coffee. The only disappointment was when the waiter gave me cold milk to pour into my hot coffee. He did come back with warm milk without me saying anything and proceeded to make me a new hot coffee.

In summary, the food is authentic and delicious. It will bring you back to your days spent living or traveling to Puerto Rico or if you haven't visited, it will make you want to visit soon. I can't wait to take my family here when they visit from Puerto Rico!

1  Thank Belle1025
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed this restaurant. My enjoyment started when I pulled my car up to the place and the valet said free of charge (I am not used to this in Boston). I had never had Puerto Rican cuisine so the tastes were very new to us-- we loved it. We had chicken/sausage paella; plantains and so on. Service was friendly and prompt. Bill was cheap. Although this was my first Puerto Rican experience (i.e. nothing to compare this with), I was very favorably impressed and I intend to return.

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The level of service was outstanding. The owner even came by twice to see if we needed assistance since we were a good size group. The drinks were great, specially the Mojitos. The chicken strips with a criole cajun seasoning tasty. The churrasco steak tender. Overall, excellent experience. Recommended for those looking for upscale latino cuisine for a reasonable price. Will defenitely go back. Thank you Hector for the great service.