“Unexpectedely Exotic in Charlestown”

Tangierino Brasserie
Ranked #611 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Charlestown
Cross street: Monument Avenue
Transit: A 5 minute walk from Bunker hill Community College Station, 6 minutes from North End
Description: Tangierino Brasserie, located in the heart of historic Charlestown, has been a neighborhood landmark for over 15 years. We offer both seasonal authentic French cuisine and Moroccan specialties complimented by over 125 wines from around the globe, handcrafted cocktails, as well as local and international beer selections. We use the freshest and the finest ingredients, including prime beef, locally caught seafood, small farm vegetables and the widest array of the earth's most exotic spices to produce the most delicious meals in Boston
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in Charlestown and were walking in the neighbourhood. This place looked interesting so we tried it without a reservation.

Our "room" was a curtain-lined booth with (I think) a mirror on the ceiling. The food and drinks were very Moroccan and very delicious. It was a full evening of eating, drinking and, of course, belly dancing. All good family fun (we were all invited to dance along with her).

Good for kids 6+ (it's not a fast meal, expect to take a few hours).

There are newer reviews for Tangierino Brasserie

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our friends invited my husband and I to accompany them to Tangierinos as they had a gift certificate. We had 7pm reservations on a Saturday night and got there a little early so we had a drink in the bar beforehand. The bartender was very knowledgable and made us some delicious drinks (my favorite was the Moroccan Mojito, yummy). When our table was ready we were seated at a low style loveseat type area with a large low glass round table between the two couples. This was a very different type of dinning than we had even had and we loved it. There were lots of pillows and fabric draped all around and it was very fitting for the type of ambiance that went with the Morrocan theme of the restaurant. We ordered more drinks and then a waiter came with a large wash basin towels and water and we each washed our hands before dinner at the table! The appetizers where incredible, Merguez and Chicken Bstila were brought and devoured by the four of us. Then our meals came in these covered ceramic bowls which the waiters took the covers off to reveal the main courses. I must say my Moroccan Eggplant took the longest to bring out and I waited about 5 minutes after everyone had already received their meals. The waiters apologized and were very attentive. I am surprised as I read the other reviews as we had 4 or 5 people hovering over us for the 2 hours we dined. Almost at the end of the meal we could hear the belly dancer getting closer to our table. When she finally came to our table we thoroughly enjoyed her dance. We finished our drinks and meal and as we were about to leave she came dancing back to our table, I only wished she had us dance wtih her, our husbands loved the show and I wished I could move like that!
All in all it was a wonderful eveing and we are so glad out friends invited us along. It was rather pricey but I think a venue like this is not for everyone and especially children. This is not the type of restaurant that serves chicken fingers or hambugers, this is a dining experience. We valeted the vehicle and picked up the bar tab which cost us about $125 for 8 drinks and a car park. I can't tell what the meal bill was but I think it was north of $200.
We tried to enter the lounge downstairs, Koullshi but here was a 1 hour wait so we never made it in. Maybe next time we are in town.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The food here was very very good.

The ambiance gets a fair rating because it had potential to be a great romantic spot, but when the belly dancers took over the dining room and were trying to get people to dance with them (while still eating dinner) we were turned off by the experience.

Service was decent, but not the greatest.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I went here with my wife for our anniversary and was disappointed. The service was great, but the food was very average. I had the salmon and found it difficult to eat with the skin on. They were out of many items and didn't seem to have anything out of their average to replace the items. The salad dressing (balsamic) was very tasty and the ambiance was very nice.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Long story short: My recommendation - SKIP the restaurant upstairs (you can order food downstairs) and just go for the hookah in the lounge. This place is an absolute nightmare in terms of service. Showed up at 8:55, sat at 9:40pm for a 9pm reservation. Food arrived at 11pm; went downstairs at 11:30pm, left at 1am. Ridiculous.

Our full experience: My husband, three friends of ours and I went to Tangierino's last night with the intention of having dinner, but the main reason to go was to have hookah in the lounge downstairs. We had a 9pm reservation booked days in advance. We arrived at 8:55pm, and we were told it would be a few minutes, they were just setting the table. Perfect. We stood near the entryway instead of going to the bar because we figured we'd just order drinks once we sat. Well 9:20 rolled around, and they said they weren't ready, we should get a drink. Fine. So we went to the bar and got a round of drinks which took a good 10 minutes because they only had one bartender working. We were about halfway into our drinks and finally we were told we would be seated. This was at 9:40pm. We were put at one of the couch/tables in the second room, which was fine. They should have these downstairs in the lounge for smoking hookah because it's hard to sit and eat when your knees are above the table, but that's a minor gripe.

We looked over the menu, then waited for our server. No server. The general manager (GM) came by a few times asking if we had been waited on yet, nope. At 10pm a waiter finally saw to us. We put in our order immediately much to his surprise that we knew what we wanted (who wouldn't after 20 minutes of staring at a menu?). By that time a table next to us had been cleared, reseated and already ordered their food.

The waiter explained that we weren't in "his section" and that he was sorry it took so long. That's fine, understandable. We also asked to have our name put on the list for the lounge downstairs for hookah because we'd like to smoke after our meal. He explained there was a long wait list, and that it was very busy. That's was okay, but we still asked our name to be put down. He said he would do that.

Our friends ordered a bottle of wine to share, which came out within 5 minutes. Someone else brought us bread for the table - but only 4 rolls for 5 people. We asked for more, and they brought 2 extra, but then took them away when the appetizer that two of our friends were sharing arrived at 10:20pm. My husband by that time had finished his beer, and our waiter passed by, so he grabbed him to order another. Our friend also asked if our names had been put on the list for the lounge. The waiter said he had forgot, he'd go do it right now. We watched as the table next to us was finishing up their meal and we still had nothing but the rolls and the appetizer our friends shared 1 hour and 20 minutes after arriving at the restaurant.

My husband's beer didn't arrive until 10:50 (30 minutes later). By that time, we still had no food. The waiter stopped by again and said it would be a few more minutes. At which point our one friend asked about the wait in the lounge downstairs, because we had had it up to here by that point. The waiter explained that he couldn't put our name on the list because they weren't operating that way for that night and that there was nothing he could do. Excuse me? Why weren't we informed of this earlier? So then we asked to speak to the GM.

The GM comes over and our friend explained our situation to her, and she immediately got defensive and snapped back. All we wanted to do was ensure we had a seat downstairs - no money off the bill, no free drinks or dessert - just a seat for hookah. She said she'd see what she could do.

Finally our food arrived right after we talked to her at 11pm. She came back immediately and said that if we could finish our food in 15 minutes we could have the cave downstairs. Geeze -- The food at just gotten to the table! So the 5 of us shoveled down our meals (which were fantastic by the way! Couscous -- amazing, lamb amazing, veggies delicious -- though hard to enjoy at the speed of light). We waited for the bill, at which point the GM came over again and said we could have the cave or a table downstairs, we said we'd like a table since we were a group of 5. She said, okay just hurry. We were trying! Paid the bill, left the waiter a 20% tip because essentially it wasn't his fault, although he should have given us just as much attention as his other tables.

We went downstairs to the lounge, our table was ready, and our waitress was right there for us. We ordered hookah and drinks, and the next hour and a half was a COMPLETE turn around. Waitress was friendly and accommodating, everything arrived promptly. Fun atmosphere, no problems. Loved the peach hookah.