“amazing food late night”
Review of Artu

Artu
Reserve with OpenTable
Artu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Hanover Street
Transit: Artu is accessible from the Haymarket T stop (green and orange line) , the North Station T stop (green line) Government Center (green and blue line) and the Aquarium Stop. (blue line)
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was a savior after traveling for over 12 hours. Our flights got delayed and we didn't eat all day. When we got to Boston we hopped in a cab and said "North end" because we were hungry and miss northeast good italian food. When we arrived around 11pm on a monday night most places were closed or only serving drinks. A friendly bartender on hanover st told us where he goes for food late night and directed us here. It was amazing. The two bartenders were so nice and friendly. We got calamari, salads, delicious bread, veal, pasta. They made us delicious specialty cocktails and were very helpful with the menu. There were all local service industry people in there. We were so happy about how great everything was they probably thought we were crazy. It had been a long day and this place was a perfect end.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Although I have been here many times for drinks, this was the first time I have tried their food. It is packed on weekend nights, hence the long bench in the bar area to seat those waiting. The long bar is staffed by some of the most personable people in the North End. They are wizards of drink creation-I recommend the pineapple soaked vodka, a large container filled with fresh pineapple slices and pure vodka, with a spigot that dispenses an amazing infused pineapple martini. Although full from a visit to another local fave, I continued the meatball quest.
The results? Well first, I ordered a single meatball. This can be a problem in many restaurants, but they were immediately accommodating. It arrived promptly, in a dish of their sauce, and a generous portion of bread (all for $2.50, btw). The meatball was a very good find-more breaded than some, moist inside and slightly spongy in texture (i know spongy is a rarely used as a superlative, but I assure you, in this case it is), and just spicy enough to cut through one of the better red sauces I have experienced in the North End, and that is saying something. The sauce was fairly amazing, a hint of zing, and was mopped up by the bread until the bowl was shiny clean.
Though I have been here many times, I feel like I have been missing out by not eating here. That will be rectified upon my next visit. And yes, I will be ordering spaghetti and meatballs. A hint, go early if you can, and you will definitely get seated. Go later? You are in for a wait. But a worthwhile wait.

1  Thank Petronius_arbiter
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had a great pasta dish with broccoli rabe and sausage. Pizza with eggplant and ricotta was also very good, thinner crust was very fresh tasting. Would go again.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We went here to grab some dinner with another couple. The food was good, pretty standard Italian food but I would say it was slightly above average. The server was great, he had suggestions and was very attentive. The atmosphere in the dining room was nice but we were sat at a not so great table. The table was right near the doorway into the bar so there was a lot of foot traffic which was somewhat distracting. If we had a better table I would have given this review a 5.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were a large group of 11 adults in town for a repeat visit and were ready to try something new in the North End. We got a reservation for Saturday evening at Artu with the caveat they may have to separate us into two different tables. We agreed; knowing the size limitations of most restaurants in the area but in the end we waited a few extra minutes in their comfortable bar area and they put us at one long, large table. I noticed right away that we had plenty of elbow room and were not crowded in with the diners around us.

We had an excellent meal including several appetizers, wine, and entrees. No desserts were ordered because we all enjoyed our entrees and were quite full. I don't think I heard a complaint from anyone at the table and this can be a tough group!

The menu has traditional fare on it as well as some more innovative dishes. Service was outstanding and we all left looking forward to returning again in the future when our travels take us back to Boston.