“There are so many”

La Summa Cantina Italiana
Ranked #103 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Hollywood
“There are so many”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Great ambiance. Food was good, but not spectacular. So dark, we couldn't see artichoke antipasti which was tasty, but piled on a plate. Not much in way of presentation. No silver service replacement between courses, no bread until requested after salad. Entres must be for hearty farmers. Tiramiso good but canolli...ugh. Felt more like college mess hall. Anyone in kitchen?

Visited March 2014

Bloomington, Indiana
“A place worth waiting for - without the wait”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

My daughter who lives in the Boston area took me to La Summa for my birthday after having a wonderful experience this past New Year's Eve. She was surprised then that the restaurant wasn't more crowded and it was only about half-full this time (a Thursday).

The food and service certainly can't be the reason this little place a block off a busy street in Boston's North End wasn't packed, because both were outstanding. I had a fruit di mare risotto, which literally spilled over the edge of the dish - a bounty of mussels, clams, shrimp, calamari and scallops heaped on a bed of perfectly cooked risotto.

My daughter's cream-based pasta and spinach dish was equally delectable, and the whole experience was complimented by friendly, attentive service and an extensive wine list.

Walking around the North End, it's not uncommon to see people waiting in line to get into a restaurant along the neighborhood's main streets. La Summa is clear proof that a short trip off the beaten path can pay great rewards.

Visited March 2014
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am wary of sharing this review as the times I have been to La summa have had little trouble getting in, when there are lines outside most other restaurant's on Hanover St. La Summa is a small quiet place with the best service and food you will find in the North End. I am challenged to try anything else once I find a menu item that I prefer...but over the years have expanded my choices and have not been disappointed. Stuffed calamari, sole picatta, house chianti, and desserts... all home made have never left us wanting. Also a plus is that they open early so we can finish with plenty of time to walk around and take in the atmosphere of this section of the city. I actually carry La Summa business cards with me, with Sharon and Michaels names on them giving them to those requesting a truly satisfying North End dining experience and over the years reporting back of their wonderful dining experiences.

• Visited September 2013
USA
“Great Random Find for Us”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Boston and a North End Italian dinner was on the to-do list. We were last in Boston 20 years ago. We'd made a list of 4 highly recommended Italian places on Hanover Street, but all had long waits Friday night and we were hungry. So we just decided to walk down a random side street, and we saw La Summa at 30 Fleet Street.

It was about 2/3 full and the menu looked good, so in we went. Very nice room with attentive but not cloying service. A bit more upscale atmosphere than average (e.g., white tablecloths), but very comfortable, relaxed. Our meals were excellent--one of the best Italian restaurant meals in memory. We started with a great stuffed artichoke appetizer, glass of montepulciano and glass of chianti. Then-- I really, really enjoyed the frutti di mare--piled very high with clams, scallops, mussels, squid, shrimp. I selected the light but nicely spiced red sauce. Spouse had linguini with clams in white sauce--several big cherrystone clams cooked perfectly, and a LOT of little clams. Spouse thought it might use a bit less salt, but I tasted it and it was OK to me. She said that she'd order it again, even if a tad less salt would make it better. So a matter of personal choice. I had homemade tiramasu and espresso for dessert; spouse had the tartufo. A very pleasant evening. Appetizer, drinks, main courses, dessert, coffee, tax and 20% tip = $120.

Noticed almost everything on the lunch menu is under $10.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank yostwl
tallahassee
“Only half good”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My pasta was overcooked and they refused to correct it! The bread was cold, not room temp, but COLD and tasted more like sourdough than ciabiatta. The wine and the stuffed squid were good, however, the meal ended on some cold espresso and a snide comment, "We have a know-it-all here." Ciao La Summa, ma questo ristorante non e lo stesso.

• Visited October 2013