“Oh My Good Eats!!”

Neighborhood: North End
Pulaski, Wisconsin
“Oh My Good Eats!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The cannoli! The lines! The Boston Cream Pie! We opted for Mike's Pastry over Modern Pastry--you will probably get amazing bakery either way, but you MUST stop at one!! There are a wide variety of yummies to choose from--I got the peanut butter cannoli and the Boston cream pie, both of which were AMAZING!!

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, Massachusetts
“LONG LINES, but good Canollis.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Coming to the North End for the first time, I was told to try the cannolis. They are very good, but long lines.

detroit, mi
“worth the wait”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

OK, you are going to wait in line. But, the line moves fast, and be ready to order when you get up at the counter. we had a few cannoli's, then turned around and bought a dozen to go. They were insanely good, and super expensive but this was the best i have ever had anywhere. The hazelnut and chocolate were great, the shell was tender and the filling was light even though the cannoli had to weigh a pound.

Memphis, Tennessee
“I don't get the negative reviews...but I second the positive ones!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm not from Boston, so perhaps I'm not a good judge of Italian-style bakeries. But I saw a few very negative reviews, many of which recommended Modern Pastry sort-of across the street.
Well, I've been going to Boston for many years, first on business and now because my son lives south of there with his wife and my two adorable grand-daughters. And every time I go I buy a big box of treats from Mike's to take back to Memphis.
Today, I was in the neighborhood and walked across and down the street to Modern Pastry. If I only judged by what was in the window, sort of dried-out fake looking things, that would be enough for me. But I went in and the selection of pastries was small and nothing looked appealing.
One of the reviews said the counter people at Mike's were not pleasant. I was there this morning and although there was a crowd, I was very early, early enough that there wasn't a long line. That might explain why I got the same pleasant service I've gotten every single time in the 24 years I've been going there. Plenty of time to pick what I want, explanations of what each pastry was.
I can only believe that all those anonymous reviews from "A Trip Advisor reviewer on Facebook " must have been made by someone whose mother owns Modern Pastry.

1 Thank AlyceM
North Stonington, Connecticut
“Cannolis!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stop in to Mike's whenever I am in the North End of Boston. I have to admit I have case of a sweet tooth. I have only gotten their cannolis and I really enjoy them. Most are $3.50 each. The florentine which has a type of peanut brittle type of shell is $5.00. They have a huge selection of flavors as well as many other pastries, cakes, gelato, and coffee drinks. This last visit I got a Florentine, lemoncello, and amaretto which were good although everyone noticed that they appeared smaller than they used to be and I would have liked them to have a little more flavoring.

Visited August 2013