“Was not as good as I hoped for”
Review of Assaggio

Assaggio
Ranked #381 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: North End
Massachusetts
“Was not as good as I hoped for”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Needed a place for an early Sunday dinner in the North End. Many places close between lunch and dinner, and Panza ( a very good restaurant) suggested we try Assaggio since they stay open. The Caesar salad had too much dressing on it. Bread was generous, but nothing exciting. I had the angel hair pasta with the spicy marinara sauce and chicken. Pasta and sauce were tasty, but the chicken was the rubber chicken that you hear about. I ate one piece and that was enough for me. I think the main reason why I will never go back is the cleanliness of the wine glasses. ( not very ) . Shrimp scampi was good. Best part of our dinner - our server was very pleasant.

• Visited February 2013

Littleton, Colorado
“A total let down from what I remembered.....”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband I and had our second date at Assaggio 10 years ago when we lived in Boston and have been back every time we were in town over the years. This time around was quite the disappointment as we expected better. We were early for our reservation and were seated right away which was nice, but downstairs sandwiched in between 2 large parties, the waitstaff kitchen and the bathrooms. I kept getting bumped. Not the restaurant's fault. What WAS their fault however was completely messing up mine and my dad's entree orders. He ordered the veal parm; all of us heard him order the veal and he got chicken. It was sent back. I also ordered pasta with my chicken Marsala and got mashed potatoes and heavily salted spinach. I didn't send mine back because I didn't want to wait really. The chicken was also overlooked and dry. My dad ordered a Peroni and got a Stella instead. That wasn't bad because he likes Stella. Point is, write down the orders so mistakes don't happen. Our waitress barely paid attention to us and didn't check to see if everything was ok after the mistake. One thing in their favor was our bottle of wine was taken off the bill for the mistake. I'll take that.

Food was uninspired and predictable this time around. Salty....and we have most certainly had better. I still love Assaggio for the memory we had the first time we went there. That's about it.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank COGlobeTrotter35
Lexington Park, MD
“The food was terrific!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

There were so many great italian dishes to choose from that we had to go here twice during our three day visit! It is best to make reservations for the evening as they get filled up quickly!

Visited November 2012
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Nice, but nothing special”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Upon entering this restaurant in Boston's acclaimed North End district, the first thing we saw was the staff gathered around the register enjoying each others company. This was really a shame because the room is nice enough, and the food pretty good, but really gracious service would have put this place over the top.

Our appetizers were good. The prosciutto and melon and chopped arugula salad were nice portions and presented well. The lasagne and chicken parmesan entrees were really no better that what we've had at our local pizza joint and the gnocchi in the side order were just Ok.

On the positive is, the wine by the glass was a generous portion and quite good!

We're not sorry we went, but are in no hurry to return.

• Visited November 2012
RYDAL
“Great place!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We met some friends for dinner and the food was delicious and service was great. The waitress was willing to answer any questions about the menu and offer suggestions. The cantelope martini was to die for. The bruchetta was awesome and I would highly recommend ordering it. The only downfall was that we were in the lower level of the restaurant and it is very dark which made reading the menu difficult. I used the flashlight app on my phone which was a little embarrassing but helped immensely.