“Underwhelming”

Lo Conte's Italian Cuisine
Ranked #352 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: North End
Toronto, Canada
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Let me start by saying this is only our 2nd trip to Boston and our third time eating in the north end. Both times where mediocre at best (Al dente was one of those experiences) so for this meal we (my wife, 14year old and 2 1/2 year old) wanted to give the north end another chance. We spoke to a local who pointed us to Lo Conte. We found it easily (on Salem off the main drag). We arrived there on a Tuesday evening at about 5:50PM and were greeted by the hostess. She seemed to immediately size us up as not "their" type of clientele and very bruskley told us it would be a 45 minute wait. She didn't bother to take our names or seem to care one way or another. She came out a few more times and all she could say was , "it's going to be a while". We then began talking to a gentleman out side whom we later discovered was the owner. He was very pleasant and engaging. Finaally after continuing our conversation with him the hostess seemed to warm up slightly. Her main problem seems to be that we were inconveniencing her by having a baby stroller for a 2 1/2 year old. We finally made it inside at about 6:50 PM. it took another 10-15 minutes before our waiter even came to the table. we ordered our meals and drinks as soon as he did. My wife had the chicken and broccoli ziti, I had the gnocchi and my daughter had the chicken parm. Then we waited. And waited, and waited. If anyone has eaten with a 2 year old before, you know that a long wait for food can spell disaster. It took another 10-15 minutes or more to get bread and the waiting continued. Not once did ANYONE approach us and apologize for the long wait or explain what was going on...finally after 50 MINUTES of waiting our food arrived. My food was good, but not worth the now 2 hour wait. My wife and daughter also liked theirs, but by this time the experience was getting foul. We then asked for our bill and the waiter dropped it off saying they comp'ed us 2 bottles of beer because it was busy. The bill came to $81 and, prior to having been comp'ed the beer I was ready to leave no gratuity at all, but instead we left an 8 tip, still feeling that was over doing it for the quality of service we received. I then packed up the kids and promptly made my way out. My wife had to use the bathroom and we waited outside for her. Unbeknownst to me, as my wife emerged from the washroom and was making her way out of the premise she was approached by our waiter...he asked her in a confused tone "um do you want your change?" To which she replied "no", then he had the nerve to say "but you had a $90 bill and you only left me $8". She said that's right and left the premise. When she told me about that I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe anyone could be that rude. I'm now VERY sorry I left him a tip at all. This is most definitely my LAST trip to the north end for what has been mediocre Italian and CERTAINLY my last trip to Lo Conti. The Italian food on St Claie Ave or College Street in Toronto far exceeds it with none of the pretence.

• Visited July 2013

Seattle
“Always a winner”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have not lived in Boston for over 20 years, but whenever I am in town, Lo Conte's is the place I go to eat. My favorite is their Veal Saltimbocca, have yet to find someone who makes it better!

sarasota
“Great food!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stopped by at an off hour...around 2pm. Only guests in the place for much of the time. Ordered chicken parm and eggplant parm. Both extremely well done....very fresh, zesty tomato sauce. It did take over 30 minutes go get the food but perhaps that was due to the off hour. Service not overly friendly or attentive, but adequate. Probably short-staffed at that hour on a weekday. Overall, delicious food and great ambiance....highly recommended for flavorful Italian.

Visited June 2013
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Great find in North End”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Plain and simple - delicious! Old school hearty, comfort food! Great service.
The sauce on the Chicken Maranga is the best I have ever had. Others in our party which included kids and adults enjoyed Chicken Parm, lasagna, chicken soup and fresh vegetable tortellini. Not a scrap was left to take home. Don't settle for the main drag - go off the beaten path and enjoy!

Sherborn, Massachusetts
“Hearty Italian Fare”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed dinner at this North End staple last evening. It's hearty Italian fare in this family-style, no-frills restaurant! My husband loved the shrimp and calamari "appetizer" (a meal in itself) and the lobster ravioli. (As we were waiting for our table, others raved about the osso buco and the veal parmigian.) Lots of boisterous conversation -- and quite noisy!