“Go early. Cash only. Awesome Italian food.”
Review of Giacomo

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed August 21, 2016

One of the best places for Italian food in Boston. Giacomo's is a very small restaurant that does not accept reservations, so go early and be prepared to wait in line. We got there around 5 pm on a weekday and didn't wait more than 30 minutes. The food and wine were excellent. The environment is pretty fast-paced. Given that it's rude to keep a table for longer than necessary, so try to be prepared to order shortly after you sit down. Good luck!

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,572)

Reviewed August 21, 2016

My wife and I waited in line for about 40 minutes before we were seated (they told us it would be 45-60 minutes when we joined the line). The line moves remarkably fast for such a small restaurant, but that is because this is not a restaurant where you linger and the waitstaff and kitchen are extremely efficient. Our waitress took our order within about 2 minutes of our sitting down (we had plenty of time to study the menu on blackboards on the wall while we waited in line). I was a bit taken by surprise when the waitress shouted our order of calamari appetizers to the kitchen just as the word "calamari" left my lips! We had a delicious plate of calamari on the table within 5 minutes ($11 for the large order). I have to say it was the best calamari I've ever had. The meat melted in my mouth without any of the chewiness that afflicts calamari at many restaurants. There was a bit more oil on the plate than I would have liked, but as I said, I've never had better.

They had a special tonight of lobster and shrimp with homemade fusilli pasta ($26). We both ordered it with the giacomo sauce. It was delicious and the portion was more than we could finish after having the calamari and a bit of the thick crusted bread. There were generous pieces of lobster and several medium sized shrimp in the pasta dish. We each took about 1/3 of our order home. I wish I had tried one of their other dishes since I don't know when I might make it back again.

Be forewarned that this is a CASH ONLY restaurant, which seems to be true of many of the restaurants in the North End. Our waitress was very friendly, but not chatty. This place is all about efficiency. Given that the line was long, we ate our meal, paid our check and left without dawdling.

Reviewed August 19, 2016

I ordered the linguine with shrimp and scallops with the giacomo sauce. It was FANTASTIC!! I will without a doubt go back to this place the next time I visit Boston. This restaurant is small (30 seated guests for each sitting) so in order to get in the first seating with a relatively short wait time, get there about 20-25 minutes early...a line will form. We got there 15 minutes early and we were the last group to be seated in the first seating. I was shocked by the line at first but then when I tasted their food I understood the line fairly well. I would highly recommend going to this restaurant not only is the food fantastic but it arrives at your table quite fast.

Reviewed August 19, 2016

I wasn't convinced about this restaurant when my husband assured me it was worth queuing up for. We stood waiting for half hour but it was completely worth it.
Delicious fresh Italian food. Cash only, quick turnover, service brilliant.
A wonderful culinary experience.
Highly recommend it!!

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

Stopped in due to TA review...we'll worth it. Had scallops and red sauce and linguine. Excellent. Note: cash only