“Worth the wait”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were in Boston this past weekend and were told to eat at Giacomo's. After waiting about 30-40 min outside, the line was relatively short compared to what we have heard, we had a wonderful dinner. The atmosphere and servers are fun and very attentive. We had the ziti with chicken and also one of their specials. The antipasto salad was also very good and enough to share.

The restaurant is very small, seats about 35, and definitely not intimate and quiet, in fact, our table was right next to another couples, almost like it was a table for 4, it is definitely a cozy set-up and you have to be willing to help the servers out while they are trying to get around the tables and chairs.

I highly recommend eating here and waiting in line if there is one. It is definitely worth it.

There are newer reviews for Giacomo's Restaurant

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Even at 5:30 on a Tuesday in the rain, my husband and I had to wait in line outside to get into Giacomo's. And it's easy to see why. There is great atmosphere, great food, great wine, and great service. And it's very reasonably priced, compared to the rest of the North End. They specialize in seafood pasta dishes and wine, it seems.

There are a few inconveniences: the everpresent line, the lack of reservations, and the fact that it is cash only. After you wait for so long, it's hard to relax and enjoy a leisurely meal when you feel bad for all the people still waiting outside! And there are several other equally good and more convenient options in the North End.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Ok. So my date and I waited in line for about 30 minutes in the freezing cold on Hanover St on the 30th of Dec 2012, looking into a small restaurant bustling with activitiy and barely enough room for the servers to squeeze by. There was a shoebox kitchen visible from the line outside. The line ended at the door and did not extend inside. All this time, I was checking out the menu board -- it is full of fresh seafood and meat dishes.

As a new convert to vegetarianism, all this made me nervous. It was cold. I was sure the other Italian places nearby would be good enough to satisfy my craving for Italian.

So why was I waiting in line in the cold, trying to fend off an abrasively gelid wind?

Here's why:

Inside, it is warm and cozy, not packed and uncomfortable. The servers gracefully find their way through the restaurant, showing up just in time to remove a plate, and being very respectful of guests' enjoyment of their meals.

We asked the server for her opinion of the wine. She was knowledgeable, but also asked a customer at another table who had ordered the wine, too. This seemed like more than just knowledge -- it was knowledge of the wine + reinforcing a casual atmosphere of dining camraderie.

The food was delicious. My date and I found lots of appealing vegetarian options. My pumpkin tortellini was a standout, and my date's eggplant parm was delicious. The bottle of wine we ordered suited the meal perfectly. The bread they served with our mozzarella + marinara before the meal was amazing. The folks at the table near mine kept raving about the lobster and other meat dishes they ordered.

There is no dessert, and the restaurant is cash only. Our meal did not set us back half of what I thought it would.

I will definitely visit again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We love Giacomo's. We decided to go because of the great feedback on Yelp and it was easy to see why. The line to get in is LONG... but if you are patient, or go early or late - you shouldn't have to wait too long. The food is perfect and the atmosphere is small and classic north end Italian.. I wouldn't want them to get any bigger and ruin the atmosphere.

If you are not prepared to stand outside and wait, don't bother going. But if you do, you'll be glad you did

Reviewed January 6, 2013

An amazing find! We stumbled on this place looking for a cute, good quality, and reasonably priced restaurant in Boston's North End. The queue outside was a good indicator - and recommendations from locals certainly paid off. The atmosphere was great - buzzing with excitement, and packed in so we shared tables with other diners. This made for some great conversation, and a fun, unusual dining experience. Not a place for a relaxing, first date - but great for excellent food and fast service once you are inside. Try the roast squash ravioli and the mahi mahi fish special! Highly recommended - tasted great, and true, healthy flavours.