“Tourist trap??? Hardly”
Review of Mamma Maria

Mamma Maria
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamma Maria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 3,402 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Prince Street
Transit: T to Haymarket or Government Center.
A TripAdvisor Member
Milton MA
Reviewed March 8, 2006

I have no idea what that negative review is all about. My husband and I live in Boston and enjoy Mamma Maria immensely. The setting is beautiful and the food is sophisticated and delicious. I always order the tuna -- which is served with black olives and anchovy. I honestly don't think it has any garlic! The restaurant is always very busy, but I would never describe the crowd as touristy. It is usually a well-dressed local crowd. Do not miss Mamma Maria. It is a great spot to dine when visiting (or living in) Boston!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed February 12, 2006

We chose Mamma Maria because of the location and its supposed reputation for excellent Italian food. Boy, were we disappointed! Although the ambience was nice and the service professional, the food was a disaster. My husband became ill because of bad fish in the cioppino. My tuna was served with gobs of sliced garlic - nothing a true Italian chef would ever do. Most of the crowd seemed to be comprised of tourists. Mamma Maria is rather expensive and attempts to be high-brow cuisine, but unfortunately, it fails miserably. If you know what to expect from a true fine dining experience, you will feel cheated when the bill arrives. God forbid you get sick, the management could care less - they were completely unresponsive. Bottom line - don't waste your money.

4  Thank TravelSavvyGuy
Reviewed December 27, 2005

Mamma Maria is a great Boston restaurant.
It doesn't get anymore charming and classy than this North End place. It's right near Paul Revere's house, and just a block away from bustling Hanover Street.

We just had a small wedding there, and it was absolutely perfect. The staff is very professional and they will cater to your every need.
The food and wine is exceptional. The restaurant's view onto historic North Square is very special...it's a very romantic restaurant. I highly recommend a visit to Mamma Maria for any occasion.

Reviewed October 25, 2005

Just returned from a week in Boston and saw this restaurant while we were following the Freedom Trail through the North End. Our concierge at the hotel gave the place high marks, so we decided to give it a try.

It's a beautiful, two-story structure that has been turned into a restaurant and sits on a corner. I had no complaints with the ambience of the place and the food was of admirable quality; unfortunately, my dining experience was basically ruined because of the noise.

We had what appeared to be a nice table on the second floor, but they had so many people jammed up there we were forced to endure the conversation from the fairly obnoxious people behind us and the borderline drunks to the other side.

It must be the way the room is set up or perhaps the acoustics, but we could hear every spoken word, not just murmuring, but clearly and loudly every word, and over time, it became quite annoying and distracting.

Perhaps the restaurant could play music or take out a few tables or put lattices between the tables, I don't know. But if you are going here for an intimate dinner, do not expect any privacy and expect to hear the conversations of those right next to you.

For the prices the restaurant charges, which I felt were excessive, I was expecting a more intimate, quiet evening.

2  Thank karma17
Reviewed July 18, 2005

My wife and I went to Mamma Maria's for our "blow out" night out. The meal was excellent, the service was efficient and the restauarant was impeccable. But it all comes with a price. Be prepared to drop about $100 per person with wine. The three course chefs special meals were $55 each person.