“We should have come hungry”
Review of Mamma Maria

Mamma Maria
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamma Maria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 3,393 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Prince Street
Transit: T to Haymarket or Government Center.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

After a weekend of overeating at Brown University events we are spending the night in Boston and wanted to try this North End Italian restaurant. The wine list is heavily Italian (99%) and the Gavi by the glass is outstanding and served at just the right chill. My wife tried the Greco Di Tufo and found it better with the food than for sipping. The pre meal bread service is great with olives and a pesto sauce for the fresh bread. We ordered the baked oysters and they came hot, plump, and garnished with onion sticks and sea weed as well as spinach and cheese. Following the oysters my wife tried the Lobster pasta which is stuffed pie shaped pasta with a light sauce and fresh lobster filling. I tried the seared scallops served with delicate cooked onions and a caramel sauce. Probably we were already full but the chocolate Panna Cotta with ground pistachio topping and fresh berries in confectionary sugar was a must have item. I accompanied this excellent dessert with a cappuccino while my wife had a delicious lemoncello. The restaurant is a few doors from Paul Revere's preserved home in a three story brownstone. Next time we will reserve the small dining room for four at the top of the stairs. Note there will be a next time

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We dined here several years ago and had such a great experience that we chose to come back when staying overnight in the city. The food was still good, probably one of the best veal osso bucco dishes around. Less impressive was the lamb gnocchi appetizer that had a slightly off-putting flavor. What can sometimes make a good meal great is the atmosphere and the service. We sat downstairs this time and did not like it as much compared to upstairs. A dimly lit room that felt small, especially with the "loud laugher" table of 6 that penetrated the small room. While that can happen anywhere, what was more disappointing was our server. He had no personality whatsoever, very stoic and didn't seem to like his job. So what could have been a very enjoyable dining experience turned into just an okay one. Too bad considering the prime North End location.

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I chose Momma Maria's because of TripAdvisor to meet a friend who, though she lives in Boston, had never eaten here. It is now one of her favorites and our's too.

The ambiance with its small, intimate
rooms was lovely.

Chrystal's service was friendly, enthusiastic and competent. The food was creative and delicious. My husband and friend chose the roasted tomato caprice salad & pasta bolognese infused with peppercinis. Unusual and delicious.
I ordered figs and prosciutto and the
chicken accompanied with roasted brussel sprouts - yum. Desserts were apple tarte tartin and a raspberry tiramisu.

The entire evening was perfect. Momma Maria's lived up to its reviews and they seriously want you to enjoy your time there.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I ate here as part of a group from a conference at the convention center. Even though serving a fairly large group, the food was very good, and the service precise. The menu offered to us as a group was limited to only a couple of choices for appetizer, second and third courses, and dessert - but each item was very nicely prepared and served, and tasted great. Would definitely go back for a special occasion.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

It has been a year now that my 84 year old Mother and I were in Boston on a weeks vacation and I still can not get over the way we were treated at Mamma Maria. It was 5 pm on a Friday and we had been touring the North end all afternoon. We had a late lunch at another restaurant and just wanted a desert and a glass of wine before we went back to our hotel. There was only one other couple in the restaurant when we were seated. The server was very nice but when the manager discovered we only wanted desert and wine we were asked to leave. I was shocked and could not beleive what I just heard. I could understand if the restaurant was full but it was basically empty at the time. Other than this insulting experience we had a wonderful time in the Boston area.

6  Thank Shirley B