“Excellent boutique type hotel in surprising neighbourhood”

enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood
Ranked #20 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent boutique type hotel in surprising neighbourhood”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

As people have mentioned, this hotel is a converted building that had a previous purpose. The architects have done a great job. This is not a huge hotel and I would suggest a room on an upper floor. Only one elevator but that was never a problem. Valet parking was very reasonable and the gentleman responsable was super nice and helpful, thanks José. All of the staff seemed proud of their establishment and went out of their way to give information on transportation within the city etc. Very easy transportation on bus or T to central Boston in front of the hotel. I discovered Jamaica Plain and the good restaurants etc. on Centre Street....not far from the hotel.
High ceilings, new comfortable beds, great linens/towels etc. Bathrobes and slippers provided. Flat-screen TV worked perfectly as did the free WIFI. My room was very large. New carpeting throughout helped with the sound-proofing. I never heard a thing from the hallways but did hear the occasional bump from the room above. This was in not a problem during my stay. I heard no TV/radio noise at all and no speaking noise through the walls etc. I would have appreciated an in-room safe but I did make use of the hotels safety box at the reception, no problem.
I will definitely return to enVision Boston. Boston hotels are notoriously expensive and this hotel provided excellent value. Although there are not many shops etc. in the immediate vicinity of the establishment I felt very safe in this area....and quite frankly, staying outside of the central business district was relaxing.

Room Tip: I would choose an upper floor, simply because of the previous comments.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank excentrus
Trevor C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Great details in your review! I truly appreciate you taking time to recognize our staff, particularly Jose. You also make a good point about the in-room safes, I will look into that option but glad you found the safety deposit boxes at reception. I am also glad you saw great value in our hotel. We like to think we are convenient enough to Boston and public transportation without charging an arm and a leg like other downtown hotels. Thanks again for the review and hopefully we will see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The basic architecture of the EnVision Hotel is that of a townhouse sitting on a hill; it is narrow but long, overlooking South Huntington Avenue at the front and Jamaica Freeway at the back of the structure. Two upper floors and a basement have been added since the satellite photo available online was taken, bringing the total number of floors to six (B,G,1-4). There are rooms on the four numbered floors and there are four rooms on the G floor that the front desk euphemistically calls ‘the garden level’ but that appears to consist of rooms half concealed by the hillside and that share the level with a covered parking portico and, at the rear, a small parking lot. The larger, superior rooms are located in the middle of floors 1 through 4.
General pros and cons: depending upon temperament, the location of the hotel out of downtown but on the trolley and bus routes is either an advantage due to lower cost and a quick commute (15-25’) right into downtown, or a disadvantage because of the need to commute and the trolley and bus noise on Huntington Avenue. Other pros: the water was hot with good pressure. All the doors are heavy metal that close quietly and are soundproof, even the bathroom and closet doors within the rooms. Wireless internet was complimentary, easy to log onto and reasonably quick.
Since there were a significant number of reviews online that complained about noise on the lower floor, we asked for an upper floor with our reservation and were given a third floor room upon arrival.
Room-specific pros: With some careful and persistent internet searching, we were able to get a $109 rate for our room - about half the 'discount' rates available online. For that rate, we were given a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking S. Huntington Ave. We read the disparate reviews online before reserving and asked for an upper floor room as a condition of our stay. We were given a third floor room. The room was clean and nicely appointed with a comfortable bed, a desk, dresser, bed stand with alarm clock, refrigerator and microwave. The TV was a large flat screen with hundreds of Comcast channels. The shower was built-in, marble faced.
Room-specific cons: Our front-facing room (#301) admitted the trolley noise starting at 6:15 am every day. We were up by then but a late sleeper might not tolerate it. On the last night of five, a persistent and continuous ‘cricking’, like a dripping faucet but louder, came from an outside wall. It started soon after we fell asleep but when I woke up several times during the night, it was still there. It stopped in the late morning. The marble-tiled bathroom floor was uncomfortably cold (no slippers were provided, but what do you want for 2-1/2 stars?). The HVAC consisted of your typical 2-star under-the-window unit which was typically noisy (not poorly maintained – just inherently noisy). With the extensive renovations throughout the building, it is very unfortunate that a better HVAC arrangement did not present itself.
Finally, admittedly minor stuff: Only one bathrobe was provided. No big deal; the Westin that we are staying in today (q.v. review) only has one bathrobe, too, and it is not as nice as EnVision’s. The Xfinity remote control was weird. When it turned on the Comcast cable box, the LG flatscreen came on, and then went off. When pressing a trial of various buttons, the screen would power on, only to have the cable box power off. Sometimes this back-and-forth would go on for several minutes; sometimes both would stay on after only one or two tries. The fault is obviously with me for not understanding the technology; but, hey, hotel TV ought to be idiot proof. I was too embarrassed to call down to the front desk and ask how to turn the TV on. In other news, our windows each had two spring latches at the bottom and two spring latches at the top; this meant one had to have four hands in order to open a window. I never succeeded in opening a window. From the outside, the superior rooms seemed to have different windows, so perhaps this is not a problem for them.
Bottom line: I would not adopt this as my Boston hotel destination but I would stay there again if it were the only way to escape the unreasonably steep hotel rates that seem to characterize this city.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank satipatipatti
Thank you very much for your detailed comments. This is great information to pass along to all guests. I saw that you mentioned not having slippers, by chance did you check the closet? We place a fresh pair of complimentary slippers in each guest room and I'm sorry that you did not see them. You write very intricate reviews, perhaps you can make a career out of this! Thanks again for staying with us and for your feedback.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

What a delightful find. Beautifully appointed room with many little touches to make this room special. Very clean. Very new. Super comfy bed. And the rate was good too. Whenever we come to Boston, we will definitely stay here again. We even took the subway from the airport for an adventure and it brought us steps from the front door. And we are in our late sixties! Short walk to good food too.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Julianne1943
Trevor C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Julianne, you are too kind! I'm very glad you found us easily and your stay with us was enjoyable. We hope to see you again in the future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We reserved a 2 night stay at the enVision Hotel because we found a great deal on Travelzoo. We were concerned about the location because it wasn't downtown Boston but after we arrived, we were very pleased. The hotel is brand-new (renovated into a boutique hotel) so there are a few glitches being worked out but all in all it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is very modern and comfortable. The beds were perfect and the staff put this hotel over the top. Trevor and Reid were very helpful in helping us get around and in planning our fun in Boston. But the best part of this hotel is that it backs up to a beautiful park with a lake and walking trail. Public transportation stops right in front of the hotel and you are in walking distance to many cafes and WholeFoods ( a plus for us!). I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is visiting Boston for leisure. Hope to return there soon! Thanks Envision, Trevor & Reid!

Room Tip: All seem to be great
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArleneJ964
Thank you Arlene for your wonderful remarks. We certainly enjoyed having you both stay with us and you're always welcome back!
Chciago
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a fairly new place, so the rooms are clean and decent-sized. For the price, in Boston, it is a steal and a big plus is that it is located close to the green line transit stations. The room is modern and the king-size bed was plush. Don't count on a view because there isn't any in this neighborhood, which was nice, but a bit dicey (old, students, not hoodlums). The thing is there is nothing around except a VA Hospital. There are some restaurants, but none of them great (more like TGIF, Subway & other chains). They have some light breakfast items if you care to purchase and there is coffee in the rooms. I recommend this place and think it is a find. Very helpful desk help. Didn't understand all the added on tax at the end, but didn't ask about it. You might.

Room Tip: all good rooms; we found street parking, but got there early in the afternoon.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Boystowtraveler
designguide
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had to make emergency plans for a quick trip to Boston. Having never been to Boston (Allston, MA), Trip Advisor came in handy! I found EnVision Hotel, called and spoke with a gentlemen and explained the unfortunate circumstances unfolding that was bringing my husband to Boston. I also informed the desk clerk about NOISE issues I had read about on Trip Advisor, requesting a higher floor. They accommodated that request, no problem. The hotel was very clean, beds were awe very comfortable, staff was helpful. He paid $20 per day - valet parking (worth it for peace of mind) - Boston is serious about towing. I would definitely stay there again. Quiet neighborhood.

Room Tip: Above 2nd floor. Just by reading other posts. Our room was 4th floor. View was poor but our visit wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and glad we lived up to your expectations! We appreciate the review and wish you health and happiness.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I went for a wedding in Jamaica Plains at the Pond. It is the one of the only hotels that I could find that was close. It is also near Fenway. Public transportation is very close. We were on the main floor and my first thought was, It's going to noisy, I was so surprised to find it was very quiet. The staff was extremely helpful. The rooms were small and effiecient, but bigger than I assumed a Boston hotel would be. It was very modern with nice decor.
We used taxi's because of the rain, which the valet haled for us.

Room Tip: There was a microwave and a mini fridge, with two complimentary bottles of water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback Cristina. Glad to hear we were a convenient option for you in the Jamaica Plain area. Hopefully we will have better weather for you on your next visit to Boston!