“An old favorite shines again”
Review of Bangkok City

Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Having just returned from vacationing in Thailand, I was not sure whether I would find Bankok City disappointing. That it definitely did not. The Shrimp Choo Chee dish I ordered was perfectly spiced as ordered and delicious, though slightly lukewarm when it got to the table. The Taro custard was also very good. Friendly staff in a restaurant you can count on time and again for consistently good Thai food.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

If I'm staying in or near the Back Bay area in Boston, I always enjoy a meal here. Even though I only visit every 8 to 12 months, many of the staff remember me.

The food is very good to great. I always stick with my favorites: duck and Thai iced coffee. The atmosphere and decoration is wonderfully relaxing and the service is a very pleasant Thai mannered approach.

For really good food in a relaxing atmosphere, you'll have an enjoyable eating experience.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Before the performance of the Paris Combo, at the Berklee Performance Center, friends and I dined at the Bangkok City
restaurant. A nice looking young servers who were efficient. Several of us ordered
various servings of Duck cooked different ways. All were delicious. We shared some appetizers,
grilled chicken , dumplings, brown rice. It was welcoming to see a good wine list. I had a few glasses of a French Pinot Noir that satisfied me

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stopped here on a Friday evening after checking into my hotel nearby. Conveniently located near Mass. Ave. in the Fenway neighborhood, this restaurant was a quick walk from the hotel, and was quite crowded for as late in the evening as we arrived, but the food was quite mediocre. The rice had dried out, and the curry sauce was a bit oily for my tastes. For as much good ethnic fare as Boston has to offer, I'd look elsewhere.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is the 2nd time that we have been to this restaurant.
What is immediately noticeable is the HONEST friendliness of the staff,
including a woman behind the counter that I assume is the owner.

The waiter, named Mac, had to be one of the restaurant's most popular waitstaff
people.
He was an absolute delight, with his recommendations, explanations etc.
He must have come by 5 or 6 times during the meal to refill water glasses, etc.
With his charm, knowledge, mannerisms, and eloquent speaking, I would have
guessed him to be a university professor rather than a waitstaff person.
You will love this guy !!!

The food is expertly prepared and uses fresh ingredients.
Nothing tasted "off" from what one mentally imagined that it WOULD taste like.
My dish was the Seafood Pik Pow. "Just like mother used to make" , so to speak..
My son got his favorite there again...lemon chicken.
Nicely done with moist chicken, and just the right flavor.
He also remarked on how good this dish was this 2nd time ordering it.

The dumpling appetizers were quite good, and a take-off, if you will, of the Chinese SiuMai.
Could have been "just a bit" bigger, but...that is the only thing that could be improved on.

We had the Mango/Sweet rice dessert, and would say that it was "good to the last drop" !!!
FRESH cut mango slices/chunks without any hint of being old, etc. It was perfect in its texture
and taste, with the sweet rice being equally tasty and sweet.
None of the sweetness was overpowering or artificial tasting.
It was EXACTLY what one would call perfect on the sweetness/desirability scale.

People were thanked by other workers there (that did not serve that particular party), for coming in.

It was a pleasure to see people actually being thanked by multiple people for coming in to eat.

I have to say that I usually don't tip "to the max" (close though), but...tipped "to the max" here for
the great service and perfectly prepared food.
I filed it under "Money Well Spent".

In closing, I just cannot see how anyone could be disappointed with this restaurant.
It certainly was MY pleasure.

We will be back there shortly.

Jerry R