TripAdvisor

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Description: Casa Romero is the oldest Mexican Restaurant in New England, with more than 45 years serving the most authentic Mexican Cuisine.
Reviewed December 5, 2019

I went for dinner here with a few friends and was positively impressed by the food. The corn tortillas are not made in house but just commercial ones, which was a bit disappointing, but the fajitas were really great and the spicy habanero sauce they have is a must try if you like hardcore spicy sauces.

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (265)

Reviewed October 20, 2019

At this tucked away jewel in Back Bay we began with a delicious guacamole and salsa. The mango and strawberry margaritas, contrary to one reviewer who believed they tasted like drinks from a powdered base, we found to be delicious. If indeed they use a mix, it's a keeper!
We shared the shrimp with mushrooms entree which consisted of 5 shrimp plus a side of rice and beans. The food was interesting but not memorable. We did love the flan, a perfect end to a very expensive meal.
The service is in need of an overhaul. It felt indifferent and not welcoming as a 1st impression. The woman who took our order warmed up after a while but overall this lacklustre standard will be the downfall of this very quaint eatery.

Reviewed October 18, 2019

The atmosphere has an authentic feel although the restaurant is quite noisy on a busy night. We all had the same thing for dinner, a chili relleno with a side order of bean and a side order of salad. The chili was as delicious as always but the side orders were so small they were almost non existent. The two sides for each dinner cost more than $8. Not worth it. I’m quite disappointed.

Reviewed October 17, 2019

The "perfect margarita" tasted like powder mix at $13 - could not finish it. Tilapia was not fresh. Steak taco portion was tiny. Soda serving ($3.50) was tiny with no refills. Service was sadly and painfully lousy. I signaled servers who were just standing around talking to each other several times, at different times, who all saw me and were slow to respond, including my requests for my final bill. We had to proceed to the front to obtain our bill. I have NEVER left $0 tip, but I did this time. Pretentious in terms of authenticity and refinement, which we experienced as outrageously false. The guacamole was good, but lousy value at $8 per scoop.

Reviewed August 14, 2019

An interesting Mexican restaurant hidden in an alley. Authentic Mexican, good service and a pleasant outside patio. I enjoyed my enchiladas in Mole Poblano sauce

Date of visit: August 2019
Leo R, Owner at Casa Romero, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2019

Hi, Chris, thank you so much for such a lovely review, we are glad that you had a great time at our restaurant. Hope to see you soon.

Been to Casa Romero? Share your experiences!