“Have you ever had their afternoon tea?”
Review of L'Espalier

L'Espalier
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Espalier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #166 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield St.
Transit: Copley Square T
Reviewed December 16, 2013

A gourmet and modern spin on the traditional afternoon tea! I do enjoy afternoon tea often and this is one of my favorites by far.

We came with my 4 year old niece for the Princess tea this past weekend and it was perfect in all ways. The table was decorated and there were games for her to play. They offered a nice selection of tiara's and crowns. The food was perfect. We ate almost everything and loved it all.

For the two adults at the table, the tea was inventive and delicious. The service was also fantastic. All of the staff were wonderful with the children.

Not to mention the entire restaurant is beautiful! I will definitely come back for another meal here!

1  Thank travellotus

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Dined with friends at L'Espalier last evening and we found very slow and disinterested service, good but not great food, and generally very poor value. It took over one hour for any food to arrive at the table; not even a bread basket. Cocktails were offered promptly, but took 20 minutes to arrive. Service was officious, but not engaging.

Generally a poor value; would not return.

1  Thank Marge P
Reviewed December 9, 2013

First, to go to this restaurant and enjoy yourself, you have to decide to set aside about $200 per person (more if you order expensive wine). If you are anxious about that, or it is going to ruin the dining experience (no matter how good the food is), then just don't go. You will be frustrated and disappointed.

However, if the financial aspect doesn't bother you, then I think hands down this is the best restaurant in the city.

It outstrips No 9 Park, Menton, Oya, and any of the fish or steakhouses in town. It outstrips Blue Ginger, Salts, Craggie on Main, Sycamore, and all of the hotel restaurants. It is simply better, all around.

If you like duck, don't hesitate -- just go and order the duck, surcharge and all. Absolutely melts in your mouth. Incredible honey flavor. Stunning.

Another diner in our group ordered the lamb and said it was "amongst the best he has had" -- and this fellow goes to Pierre Gangnaire in Paris, all the Nobu's around the world, etc. So, he knows his food.

Atmosphere was romantic, but not so quiet or isolated that you didn't feel like you were also part of something bigger than just your table. Also, we felt very comfortable in slacks and sport coats -- we were worried it would be overly formal, but it really isn't. We were able to really relax and soak in the meal over three hours of fine dining.

The service is fantastic without being overly formal or over-bearing.

The view from the second floor window was romantic, wintery, and very different than dining on the first floor of a building on Boylston.

The valet was not too expensive and I recommend using that for convenience.

Two minor disappointments: desert was strange. How else can I put it? I cannot even describe it, but the mushroom marshmallow and accompanying items were just 'strange'. Not bad, but not obviously good either.

Second: we had cheese with our meal and wished we could have chosen them instead of them being chosen for us. Minor.

Overall, this ranks up there with the top five or ten meals of my lifetime. Very memorable and a great place to go for a special occasion.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Due to the price, I've only been here twice. Both times it knocked my socks off. I love love love that they have a vegetarian tasting menu (do one of the the tasting menus. For only a few dollars more than the a la carte, I think it's worth it). The food is delicious and creative. The staff is attentive. The atmosphere is nice. Awesome for a special night out.
Note: you do want to dress up here. Men in suits, etc.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have long visited L'Espalier to celebrate special occasions, and were disappointed when they moved from the charming Back Bay brownstone to Newbury Street. While the ambience is more sterile modern than charming, the quality of the food remains superb. We have yet to have a meal that was not among the best we have ever eaten. They have an extensive wine list to suit every taste and budget. Service is impecable. Not for casual dining, but definitely a splurge worth doing.