“Excellent meal to celebrate our wedding!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Espalier

L'Espalier
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Espalier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield St.
Transit: Copley Square T
massachusetts
“Excellent meal to celebrate our wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We dashed off to Boston for our small wedding of two and decided to have our wedding dinner at this wonderful restaurant, we were greeted by nearly everyone with a congratulations and a smile The service was impeccable and our waiter which I cannot remember his name was perfect as everyone who took care of us was, they were there when they needed to be and seemed to disappear until needed again. We indulged in the 6 course Spring degustation as my husband is a meat eater and myself a pescatarian that posed to issue to the Chef. Every course was delicious my husband craved more of the lamb chops and some where very interesting we loved the cheese course and the little meringues they made with the liquid nitrogen at the end was fun. My only disappoint me was dessert the yogurt granola combo was very uninspiring and I have such a sweet tooth, other than that we will be back next year for our anniversary dinner. Thank you for a special evening!

1 Thank kloMassachusetts

• Korean first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“Good, but not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I visited in December just before the holidays and after sampling the Chef's Tasting Journey for dinner, I left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. The food was beautifully plated and the restaurant is gorgeous, but the dishes we were served all seemed unoriginal. There was no course that made me exclaim "wow."

Service was rather cold and impersonal the day I visited but it may be more of a seasonal issue given our visit just prior to the start of the Christmas holiday.

All this being said, I thought that the restaurant's wine and cheese selection was excellent. I especially appreciated being provided a thorough background on the variety of unique cheeses they have on offer.

I will visit again in hopes that this visit was an off-day for the restaurant and kitchen. I will probably not opt for the Tasting Journey next time as I don't think it represents good value for money.

• Visited December 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
“So fine!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

From the first greeting to signing my check , everything at this place is spectacular. The staff is very professional and friendly. The interior is just perfect, calm and welcoming. The food is very well presented. Everything about it is world-class. Just on the spot!! The right balance of everything!! The ingredients are so fresh. The service is amazing. Attentive but not intrusive. This could arguably be the best restaurant in Boston!!! I'll certainly be back again. Love it!!!!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Scottiya
Sherborn, Massachusetts
“Outstanding! Everything prepared to perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I ate at L'Espalier four nights ago to celebrate a special anniversary. What an outstanding meal! Everything was prepared to perfection. We each had the four-course-plus-dessert "spring degustation menu," with excellent substitutions for us pescetarians. The service was excellent. The ambience wonderful. Our only (minor) criticisms were the minimal amount of fresh vegetables on the dishes that we ordered and the unexciting nature of our granola-and-yogurt dessert. Expensive, but worth it. A great restaurant for special occasions.

1 Thank Nancy L
Norwood, Massachusetts
“The perfect spot to celebrate our anniversary...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife & I recently had the pleasure of dining at L'Espalier in honor of our 5th anniversary. I now understand why L'Espalier has been so successful for so many years. The passion for putting together an innovative meal celebrating farm to table cuisine is still very much alive at L'Espalier. Why no Michelin Star or Relais & Chateaux designations for L'Espalier is beyond me, but even without those designations the experience was amazing.
As with practically all restaurants of this caliber I would recommend allowing plenty of time to truely enjoy the experience as between courses you will be treated to several amuse bouches. L'Espalier offers several dining options, but I strongly recommend the 3 Course with the supplemental cheese course. We had the duck for two which was presented and carved table side along with some preparations to accompany it. Though others have commented on the portions being small and not worth the $, I couldn't disagree more.
The service was very good for the most part, though I think there is better in Boston. Everyone was good about greeting us, welcoming us, and acknowledging our anniversary. A few of the staff need a refresher on timing especially regarding the filling of the water/wine glass and when to clear the course, but other than that, all was good. Be sure to add the supplemental cheese course which will give you a chance to interact with fromager Louis Risoli, who is a gem.