“The perfect spot to celebrate our anniversary...”
Review of L'Espalier

L'Espalier
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Espalier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 3,319 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield St.
Transit: Copley Square T
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife & I recently had the pleasure of dining at L'Espalier in honor of our 5th anniversary. I now understand why L'Espalier has been so successful for so many years. The passion for putting together an innovative meal celebrating farm to table cuisine is still very much alive at L'Espalier. Why no Michelin Star or Relais & Chateaux designations for L'Espalier is beyond me, but even without those designations the experience was amazing.
As with practically all restaurants of this caliber I would recommend allowing plenty of time to truely enjoy the experience as between courses you will be treated to several amuse bouches. L'Espalier offers several dining options, but I strongly recommend the 3 Course with the supplemental cheese course. We had the duck for two which was presented and carved table side along with some preparations to accompany it. Though others have commented on the portions being small and not worth the $, I couldn't disagree more.
The service was very good for the most part, though I think there is better in Boston. Everyone was good about greeting us, welcoming us, and acknowledging our anniversary. A few of the staff need a refresher on timing especially regarding the filling of the water/wine glass and when to clear the course, but other than that, all was good. Be sure to add the supplemental cheese course which will give you a chance to interact with fromager Louis Risoli, who is a gem.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

While planning a trip to Boston several months ago, my husband and I were able to get reservations at the Chef's table at L'Espalier....And so, this meal became almost all I could think about for the past two months :) I'm happy to say that my expectations were exceeded. I echo the other reviews that this is one of the best meals I have ever had.

The food plus the Chef's Table combined for an experience that is unmatched. While none of the food that we had was terribly inventive, it was all absolutely delicious. This Chef's Table is literally smack in the kitchen, at the end of the seafood and meat stations. Chef Peter (on the meat station) was a blast and really made us feel welcome. Many of the other Chefs also stopped by the table to check in on us (including the head Chef), which was a nice touch. Our waitress, Regina, was perfect - impeccable service without being overbearing.

I can't recommend L'Espalier enough....Especially if you can get the Chef's Table (although they say parties of up to 4 can be accommodated, I think more than 2 people would be a tight squeeze, personally).

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The service at L'Espalier is phenomenal! This includes the parking valet, the greeters in the lobby, the wait staff -- everyone. The food was inventive and delicious and included many "freebies" in the form of amuse bouches, cookies, and candy.

1  Thank astorix
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a wonderful dining experience here. We were nestled into a corner table. Every bite was delicious. Having eaten at L'Espalier many times in both locations, I can only say that the experience remains one of the best in Boston for culinary excellence!

1  Thank steve s
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Recently went to L'espalier and found that, while some of the food was fresh and thoughtfully prepared and the wait staff were overall attentive and kind, the restaurant expects its patrons to be up to par with their elite and exclusive (extreme? ) menu and style. Being not a regular at this type of restaurant, I found it difficult to feel comfortable with the menu, staff and milieu, as they were impatient and inflexible to my questions and individualization of my meal. For example, when one of our party requested to have her meal with no salmon, the waitress raised an embarrassing scene but refused to offer any alternatives. The woman's plate then had only baked-beans and cornbread and while there were many artful colors on the plate, she found there was almost nothing she could eat. Many ultra-gourmets have family/friends who are simpler eaters, and if they chose to bring this demographic with them to L'espalier, L'esplaier should be as respectful of their less-exotic tastes. L'espalier would be respectful of a patron with a food allergy or religious restriction, and they should treat all patrons with similar respect.

1  Thank nancyjw696