“One of the Best Diners Anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mike's City Diner

Mike's City Diner
Ranked #167 of 3,188 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South End
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the Best Diners Anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

First and foremost this is a DINER, and features large portions of well prepared BASIC food.

Mike's is open 6 am to 3 pm, and serves breakfast and lunch, this is a cash only diner so be prepared.

A recent lunch visit started with a fresh New England Clam Chowder, and the famous pilgrim sandwich that was featured on the show, Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. The turkey is all that, it's fresh off the bone, and the stuffing is one of the best bread dressings that I have had.
(I was advised by a fellow diner to ask for a side of gravy with the Pilgrim). My dining partner had the Fish and Chips which were made from fresh cod, and fried the correct way.
Both lunch platters were served with a generous order of french fries, and yes, they were, NORMAL french fries (don't dare serve me sweet potato fries).

The breakfast dishes looked huge, and I did notice that grits were an available option at breakfast, not an easy thing to find in New England.

The wait staff is super busy, but also super friendly, and provide quick service.

Enjoy this Diner !

Ken

• Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Revere, Massachusetts
“Delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Our first time coming to Mike's City Diner, and we will definitely be back. Even though there was a line, we got seated pretty quickly. The food was delicious and came out quickly. The omelette was fantastic and the corned beef hash Benedict was delicious, there was nothing left on the plate.

Port Orange, Florida
“Loved the Breakfast at Mike's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We were in town to visit friends and went to Mike's City Diner upon a recommendation. They do not disappoint! Everything tasted great and the service is fast. We were there 10:30 on a Sunday morning, so it was a 20 minute wait for a table. The food was worth the wait.

I had the giant omlette with spinach and tomatoes, grits and raisen toast. Hubby had home made hash with eggs. Everything was delicious!

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

It was my friend's last day in the USA for a long time and so a bunch of friends got together and we let him pick a spot for his last brunch/breakfast in the USA ever. He picked Mike's. I had heard a lot about it, all good things, and I heard it was featured on the Food Network TV show , Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, so needless to say my expectations were pretty high. My expectation was even more cemented when we had to wait for 20 minutes (the line was out the door, and they don't take reservations) on a Sunday morning at 10:30am.

We decided to sit at the bar because we didn't want to wait for a table. The breakfast is pretty standard of a diner which was fine. It's pretty cheap too considering the portions are big. I wasn't that hungry so I had chocolate chip pancakes. Which is pretty standard. No way to mess those up. They were good, I've had better but not bad. The coffee was delicious, better than most diner coffees I've had.

I do have to give a shout out to the wait staff. They were AMAZING. They brought our party of 5 water without us asking. And every time we needed something they would bring it to us as soon as we realized we wanted it. It was like they could read our minds!

I do realize that I wasn't blown away by the pancakes, but I might go back and reevaluate once I try something like eggs benedict.

P.S THIS IS A CASH ONLY DINER. I totally forgot to bring cash so I had to use the ATM in the diner which charges a $2 ATM fee.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank kkrez
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Amazing breakfasts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went to Mikes based on a guidebook recommendation and weren't disappointed.
The breakfasts, service and prices are all brilliant.
Free coffee refills! I went for the 'emergency room' breakfast and it was more food than I eat in a week, the plates are massive!
The staff are friendly and attentive, love this place!

• Visited December 2013