“Our best meal in Boston...”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 3,379 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Herford or Massachusetts Avenues
Transit: Hynes Convention Center
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We had been to the Providence, RI Capital Grille and were very disappointed but wanted to try the Boston location.
Once we got past the snooty host staff and seated in Marie's section we were so happy from beginning to end.
We were greeted by Marie upon our arrival who mentioned the dinner specials. We had our minds on steak and definately made the right choice.
Marie also helped me choose a half bottle of wine as my dining companion was not of age to drink (my daughter).
I also had the smoked salmon appetizer and my daughter had the wedge salad, both were delicious!
Our steaks came out grilled to perfection and we were so pleased with this dining experience.
Marie had definately made our visit special and we will remember the occasion for some time as it was our best meal.

1  Thank Redrabidrabit333

Reviewed February 5, 2007

I met a family member who was late. So I sat at the bar and ordered a martini. There was a bug in my drink. The bartender had no reaction, other than to dump it out and refill it. no "so sorry", can I comp your 1st drink, nothing, he was very unfriendly, hard to get his attention. I ordered dinner at the bar and he basically treated me like I wasn't even there. I will never go back. i was appalled with the service. the food was fine and the drink was good. But again, I won't stand for bad service when I'm paying that much money.

2  Thank haze0407
Reviewed December 26, 2006

We went to the Capital Grille on Newbury Street to celebrate three retirements. There were eleven of us in total. We had a wonderful table, great service, and some of the best food ever. I always choose the Capital Grille for a special evening out.

The drinks are superb. They make the best manhattans in he city! The appetizers ranged from a seafood sampler with oysetrs, shrimp, lobster tail, and cherrystones, to chowder, to salad. Everyone was pleased. For dinner many had the special bone-in filet mignon. These were huge, tender, and grilled just right. As it is an a la carte menu, we ordered three different potatoes, three different vegetables, and yummy onion rings. The manangement brought over three desserts to the honorees. It is pricey, $1,400.00 with wine but so very worth it!

Reviewed September 16, 2006

Way too loud. Not romantic. An open kitchen that added to the noise with confusion (and took away from the ambiance may I add). Very tight quarters, hardly any room for the staff to do thier job on the floor. The dress code was so relaxed it rivaled an Arby's roast beef chain. Prices ranged from $32.00 to $42.00 for an entree, everything else is a la carte. Average salad and vegetable dishes are $8.00 per order. Average drink is $10.00.
Valet Parking is $16.00. The steak was good but so what... you expect that anytime you go out to dinner. The staff did thier job and were very acommodating...as they should be. You are surrounded by dark wood and high ceilings, with a long and narrow floor plan. It reminds you of an old mens club. Not impressive at all. Looks like they crammed evrything in eliminating leasing the place next door just to get a spot on Newbury street. When all is said and done, an average meal for two people with one drink each (and no wine may I add) after the valet service and tip for the staff will run you about $160.00 . Capital Grill? More like a Capital Groan!

Bobby D.

1  Thank BobbyD4Two
Reviewed July 23, 2006

This is our fifth time dining here. I always get a 3lb lobster and my husband always gets a steak. The last time we were here I had my lobster broiled and it was tough so I went back to the steamed this time and it was perfectly perfect. My husband went wild and tried something new (the specialty, a ribeye with porcini mushroom rub and aged balsamic glaze) and he can't stop talking about it. He always gets the potatoes and onion rings, the serving is big enough for the entire table and the table next door, too. My neice had a perfectly cooked filet. The waiter didn't even blink when my sister only ordered a salad. Our service was friendly and attentive. We had reservations and were seated immediately at 7pm on a Friday night.

A busy place with a really hopping bar. Sure it is expensive --it's a prime steakhouse, but very much in keeping with other prime steakhouse prices. Only place I've had a better steak is Gallagher's in NYC.

2  Thank lmay