“We stumbled in and were pleasantly surprised”

Ristorante Saraceno
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Saraceno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #187 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We were wondering around the North End of Boston and it was one of those in between times between lunch and dinner. There isn't a lot open (that we found) before 4 pm. Saraceno was one of them and we decided to give it a chance. What a great find. I had the Spaghetti alle vongole and the house wine and it made for an excellent meal. (The only down mark I could give this place is a lack of any sort of selection of beer. In such a nice place and considering the price of the meals, you would expect at least some higher end craft beers. There are enough local Boston beers, they wouldn't have to work very hard at it!)

1  Thank Adrian J

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were looking for a place to eat while on a business trip in Boston and stumbled on this place. We ate downstairs. The service was great. The food and house wine was a very pleasant surprise. We definitely enjoyed our visit. I would definitely return again the next time I am in Boston.

1  Thank NSP9454
Reviewed November 10, 2013

One of the best Italian restaurants in the North end. Have eaten there several times and the food is always delicious. Recently was there with some colleagues and tried one of the specials - lobster and shrimp over pasta in a scampi sauce (we were offered to have our choice of sauce for this special). It was excellent!! One of my colleagues had one of the other specials Veal chop stuffed with prosciutto and smoked mozzarella and he thought it was out of this world. The majority of the menu is very varied from the appetizers to the entrees. Wine selection is also great as well. Service was quick and the waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu and wines. Will definitely go there again.

1  Thank Subourd
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I had an early dinner here last Saturday night, Boston was bustling with Red Sox post-parade fever. It was a beautiful day and Ristorante Sarceno had the front of the restaurant opened, we sat near the front of the restaurant and sadly we could smell the cigarette smoke from the smokers on the street... well anyway, we both ordered pasta dishes, I had the fettucine bolognese and my husband had Rigatoni All Arrabbiata (in red sauce). My bolognese was good, but overly salty and the fettucine was a bit too al dente.... my husband enjoyed his rigatoni but mentioned that it was more salty rather than spicy. Bread was served while we waited for our meals, it was very good, with a quality olive oil for dipping, or butter if you preferred. The wait staff was attentive and not overbearing. The atmosphere is delightful and cozy. We were quite surprised when we saw how much a glass of house Chianti cost: $12.00. It was a good wine, but not exceptional (or worth $12.00 a glass).

With all the other choices in the North End, it's not likely we'll be back here.

1  Thank Annie M
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was a very small fine Italian restaurant in the Italian neighborhood on Hannover Street in Boston. I have been to this restaurant several years ago and I remember leaving very satisfied with the food and the wine. I went there yesterday with the same friend and we both loved what we ordered once again. My friend had some sort of fish and I had eggplant parmesan. We ordered a bottle of nice Italian wine. The food was fantastic and so was the wine.

The restaurant was very nicely decorated and even the ceilings had murals. It was a cozy place with great ambiance. The place was so small that it was somewhat difficult to get out of your seat to go to the rest room. Even in the rest room you hardly had space to turn around. However, I think it only added to the charm in the sense that this Italian family has maintained the same little building and family touch. I believe there is room upstairs for special reservations and possibly some space in the basement.

Our waitress was Bulgarian and was very friendly and helpful. She, however, did not want her picture taken because she did not feel that she represented the restaurant.

The place was filling up gradually and I would say it would probably be a good idea to make a reservation for dinner. Last time we went for lunch and it was packed at that time too. Yesterday we went there pretty early around 6 p.m. and we had no trouble finding a seat right next to the window.

I highly recommend this little restaurant for a delicious Italian lunch or dinner.

2  Thank SunnyW358