“Too much of a good thing”
Review of Grotto

Grotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cambridge
Transit: T Stops are Park and Government Center.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Normally, the prix fixe menu is the best deal in restaurants that offer it; you usually get more bang for your buck. At Grotto, though, the portions are so massive that you're probably better off ordering and entree and starter a la carte. One of the reasons for that is the incredibly high quality of the bread that comes before the meal. It's baked in house and is just about the best restaurant bread ever—chewey with a salted crust that just goes ideally with the olive oil. By the time you've finished that and a starter, the entree will be almost more than you can manage. Mind you, the quality is high all the way. I had a fettuccine bolognese (with pork and lamb) that was delicious; it was just so large that I would up taking half of it home. Couldn't even get half-way through the dessert, good as it was. If I hadn't decided to go prix fixe, I would have just skipped dessert and would have been better off. Service was generally good, although a bit disorganized; they asked us about dessert twice, even though we had already ordered it. The atmosphere is very cozy (it's a small basement room) and the location very out of the way. Prices are on the high end—dinner for two was $125 including drinks and tip—but I thought that was fair given the overall quality.

1  Thank Thedogesl

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This little restaurant is practically hidden, but it is worth a detour. The food is delicious, the flavors are authentic. The service is good and discreet, the wine choice is interesting... But most of all, what I loved was the calm, smooth atmosphere, the great music choices, the painting on the wall, the candlelight... This place would be perfect for a romantic dinner, but it also makes a wonderful escape on a busy day, when you really need to refocus, with nebbiolo and a hearthy italian dish. I highly recommend the garlic and parmesan soup and the ricotta pastas... :)

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Delicious prix menu during restaurant week! Found on trip advisor and would recommend to everyone that I know visiting Boston! Affordable too!! Definitely make a reservation though, the place is packed. Great romantic setting if you're ok with a buzzing restaurant around you

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I LOVE this place! The food is great! The service is fantastic! The atmosphere is wonderful! On top of that, the prices are really reasonable for what you get. I bring all my friends and family there. My husband and I eat there regularly. The food is consistently good and the wine is even better. Great place for a small group or love birds!

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

So I've been here many times and its one of my fave restaurants in Boston. One of the great Italian restaurants not in the North End. The food is solid and I have my favorites mainly the Cavatele and the Gnocchi. They are both amazing dishes that I could eat day in and day out! This visit was for lunch during Boston's restaurant week. The food is awesome as usual but I felt the servers were a little overwhelmed with the packed restaurant. No mistakes took place but slower than usual and had to ask multiple times before getting it. Too bad but this is not going to prevent me from returning! The food is that good!