“Excellent Italian Food”
Review of Grotto

Reserve with OpenTable
Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 3,379 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cambridge
Transit: T Stops are Park and Government Center.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Grotto was close to our hotel in downtown Boston. We made a 6:30pm reservation via OpenTable. We were seated promptly.

My wife and I both ordered the 3 course meal. Both salads were very tasty. She had the linguini with lobster which was very good. I had the scallops that were great. Both desserts were delicious. Grotto is a great place for a quiet dinner.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had dinner last Friday night at Grotto with friends. We were doing a girls weekend trip in Boston. Grotto was great! It was a small intimate space with lots of character. The menu was very authentic Italian. Service was excellent. Employees were efficient. They had our reservation, seated us quickly. They knew the food and wine selections very well. There are three courses offered... Appetizer, main and dessert. I got an simple but tasty arugula salad with Parmesan, prosciutto and lemon. As a main course I ordered a sweet potato ravioli with butter sage sauce. It reminded me of the great pumpkin filled pasta I've enjoyed in Northern Italy (Mantua, Verona, and Bologna). My friends ordered basic spaghetti and crab ravioli with asparagus in light cream sauce. We all enjoyed the meal. I highly recommend Grotto. It is relaxing, authentic, with good service and great food!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If I were a neighbourhood local, Grotto very much feels like it would be my go-to restaurant for classic Italian comfort food and attentive service. Our selections from the prix-fixe menu are; for starters, a Caprese salad, and a grilled Calamari with greens; for entrees, a unique preparation of chicken parmigiana, and a rich bolognese over perfectly al dente tagliatelle; for dessert, a banana bread pudding with caramel ice cream and a (not so) molten chocolate cake...simple presentations, but nothing here disappoints our taste buds. Selections shift slightly by season, check on-line for menus or call for details. Staff are knowledgable about the wide selection of wines and capably suggest pairings to suit our plates and palates. The prix-fixe pricing of the food is a great value. However, you can blame the total of the final bill on the wine. In my opinion, the wine is not overly priced by comparison to the selections and pricing offered at other fine trattorias; it is more that the wine pricing is distorted by the extreme value offered by the prix-fixe menu. We leave happy and very satisfied at about $65/pp which included a three course meal, 1/2 btl of wine, a bottle of sparkling water and tip. I hope you'll enjoy Grotto.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friends were in town for their wedding and they chose Grotto for their wedding meal and they were nice enough to include me :) We had different 3-courses meals and each dish was delicious. The staff members were all very friendly and professional.

I told the waiter when we sat down that it's our friends' wedding and he congratulated them. In fact, they came all the way from the west coast and chose Grotto as their dinner because a friend had recommended it to them.

The waiter then asked us if we'd like some champagne to start. We looked at each other and hesitated. And eventually my friends said yes. We know the waiter never said complimentary but we kinda assumed. It was a happy moment and we didn't think to ask if it was complimentary or how much. But the waiter SHOULD'VE also told us each glass is $15 and if that's ok. But he NEVER did say that.

We were not going to order if the waiter had not suggested: my friends were staying at the Beacon XV Hotel around the corner and the hotel gave them a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate and I also gave them a half bottle of Moët & Chandon champagne as a gift so it's not like we were starving for champagne! lol

When the bill arrived, my friends noticed they were charged $45 for 3 glasses of Prosecco! We politely asked the staff (a different person from the waiter) what happened and asked if they were complimentary. She said yes, could be complimentary. She went to the back and talked to someone and when she came back, she reversed herself and now said they couldn't do it.

We were disappointed of course. I don't want to say FRAUD but we were caught up in the moment and it was a happy occasion for my friends and they didn't want to make a scene then. My friends said they would've left a nice tip otherwise.

I don't know how much tip they left. But when I called the restaurant the next day to speak to the manager. He was polite and nice and said they do sometimes offer complimentary champagne. But he said he'd have to speak to the owner first to see if they could refund the $45.

I got a vm from him the next day and he said unfortunately they couldn't do the refund because the waiter never said it would be complimentary.

I thought it was just kinda PETTY for the restaurant to not offer the refund for something they didn't intend to order in the first place. And it is their WEDDING!

If my friends did leave a bad tip because of the incident and they still offered the $45 refund, I'd have gone down to the restaurant and personally offered a generous tip as thank you.

It's really about the service and not the money and how the restaurant makes us FEEL.

3  Thank cuteasianjock
Reviewed July 21, 2013

First visit for us. I had the chicken parmigianna. They prepared it in their own special way. It was simply delicious! Everything else was equally good. Would definetely return next time we're in Boston.