Review of Grotto

Reserve with OpenTable
Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 3,337 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cambridge
Transit: T Stops are Park and Government Center.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is a very small cozy place in the basement. Seating capacity is about 35 or so, all in one small room. The food was very good. I recommend the three course meal for $ 37.00. I had the arugula salad, meatballs and spaghetti and chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. All were excellent. The red sauce is absolutely wonderful - spicy but smooth and rich.

My dinner companion had the mussels, duck and same dessert. He enjoyed them as well.

I was able to find a bottle of wine I liked and was familiar with. I would not call the wine list extensive, but it is adequate for sure. My main complaint about the wine list was the lack of champagne choices. Just as an FYI, they do not serve hard liquor.

We had a 7 pm reservation on a Tuesday night. By the time we left the place was packed and a bit loud. Based on this (and previous reviews) if you want a more intimate setting I would go early.

I would go here again the next time I am in Boston and would recommend it to my friends.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

A friend who lives in Boston recommended Grotto. It's a small place in the basement level of a brownstone, so we actually walked right by it before realizing it was there. The food was excellent, wine list was substantial, and the service was great. We had an early reservation, which was good as it got somewhat noisy by the time we left and the "normal time" dinner crowd was arriving. It is a small dining room, so not a great place for a larger group. All in all, we would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having seen a high rating on a reliable blog, we decided to go to Grotto for dinner. Our advice if you must go to Grotto is drink a bottle of wine, but limit your exposure to the food. There is a $37 prix fixe that is not worth the money as much of the meal is mediocre or less. We each started with a wilted mixed salad that was clearly from a prepackaged bag of greens and then we had pasta. Each pasta dish was "okay" or less than "okay" --- The space is cute, the staff is fine but they need to either raise the price of the prix fixe and stop cutting corners or make the $37 really worth the value.

1  Thank haknyc
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This restaurant certainly lives up to it's name-it's a small dining room with dark red and brick walls and dim lighting. This gives it a romantic vibe but also make it tricky to read the menu. It's a good place for a date but not for a large group. Seating is limited so do make a reservation.

We were drawn by the fixed price menu, which is a great deal at 3 courses for under $40. The food was a bit hit or miss. Both of our first courses were delicious: a generous portion of cavatelle and a fondue with beef tips and mushrooms.

However, the main dishes were less impressive. My scallops were well cooked and fresh but there were only 3. At $22, I was disappointed. The scallops were served with well seasoned mushrooms and a sort of open "ravioli" but there was an overwhelming amount of bitter greens. My girlfriend's monkfish was equally delicious but the side of pumpkin risotto was inedible. The desserts were large and tasty.

The first courses and friendly service were worth 4 stars. I'll be back, but I'll fill up on a first course and a dessert and skip the rest.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Grotto is a tiny charmer in basement location on the backside of Beacon Hill. Wonderful dishes, including new takes on old favorites. The chicken parm was quite artistically prepared and served and was quite delicious. The gnocchi with short ribs and gorgonzola was very good comfort foord, but could have used more flavor from the gorgonzola. We shared the warm chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream for dessert and it was fantastic. Our server was very attentive and professional. We went early on a Friday evening, which was nice because it was a little less crowded--it is a small place and tables are very close together. We saw several later arrivals asked to be moved from one table to another because of space, so be prepared for that. Decent prices and, though we didn't take advantage this time, nice to have the 3-course fixed price option available for the entire menu. Will be back.

1  Thank TrishG87