Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #196 of 3,379 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Stuart Street
Transit: Arlington Street (Green Line), Boylston Street (Green Line) or New England Medical Center (Orange Line) “T” stop.
Description: Calling all gormands and oenophiles! This Legal Sea Foods' location in Boston's Theater District, surrounded by hotels and nearby Newbury Street, Copley Square and Boston Common, offers an expanded wine menu - 40 pages in all. Just inside you'll see a two-story cascading fountain, the center-piece of the restaurant. Splash down in our dining room or make waves in our comfortable lounge three fathoms below. Our award-winning Wine Cellar, which holds over 10,000 bottles and 800 different labels, is also downstairs. Call ahead and ask our wine steward for a tour. Those who like to 'wine and dine' are in luck because our working Cellar doubles as private dining space for social and corporate functions.
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was my first trip to this chain and I don't want to be too harsh. I mean how can you judge a chain by one visit to one location? You can't. Having got that disclaimmer out of the way......Went with a friend we were in a hurry and so we split the crab cake appetizer and the fish and chips. I was somewhat underwhelmed. Fish had too muchbatter, the chips weren't even up to fast food standard let alone the perfection of a real chip from say "a chippy" in the UK. Everyone has an off night so don't want to be too hard on them but based on the one experience, not sure I would rush back. On a side note, I know it is a fish place but the the only non-fish item they had was the steak that came with the lobster or whatever. Why not add a cheap burger?

Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We've been here a couple of times on visits to Boston. Off the plane, hire the car, check in, walk the city, eat at Legal. Just the job early doors when the 5 'missing' hours from the UK really begin to bite and a speedy meal and an early night is called for.

And so it was this time. Gorgeous, crisp, blue sky, late Autumn day finished in Legal, Park Plaza - chowder, fish and fries, Sam Adams Seasonal. Great service, very personable and with promptly cooked and served food of good quality. Good effort all round from the kitchen through to service.

We'll visit Legal Seafood again next time we touch down in one of our favourite cities in North America.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 7,5 hours on the road on the way to Boston. I wanted to enjoy a really good seafood dinner after that trip. We picked this place because it was close to our hotel. Neither I or my boyfriend understood to what our waiter was saying, I told him multiple times but he just kept talking the same way. At first we ordered a beer and a glass of wine. We got a glass of water and we were told the drinks will be out in a minute. The waiter spilled my water all over the table and he said he would be right back. He never came... After maybe 20 minutes we got the drinks and right after that I saw our waiter standing with my oysters at the next table having a conversation with the people. Then he finally gave me the oysters and another waiter brought our meals at the same time, so I had to eat the oysters over my meal.

My boyfriend ordered crabcakes which were actually good. I ordered double stuffed jumbo shrimp which was awful.... It was so salty that I couldn't eat it. Our waiter came over and said something that I didn't understand again... Then he said "here is our desert menu" and left. I'm looking at the paper and it was saying something like "we are serving the best wine....we want to do the best we can....bla bla bla.." Some company culture stuff, not a dessert menu... Then the manager came over and he was really nice a took my shrimp off the bill and he said: "I see you have our dessert menu..." I just laughed and we left dissapointed.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

So I'm a traveler and Legal is a chain, but it's always great food, atmosphere and value for the money. Fish chowder here is amazing! Crab cake is large and very fresh. Consistent, yummy, elegant.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went there twice. First time we weren't hungry, so we had two appetizers. Oysters legal was so good! Popcorn shrimp was pretty good also. But the deserts were beyond amazing. Chocolate layer cake was good, but not great. The pumpkin cheesecake was my favorite! It was not so sweet, but that's the way I liked it.

The second time we had a baked lobster. There were a lot of mussels and clams underneath the lobster, so it was worth the price. We also had clam chowders, but they were just all right. Fried oysters were good, but not as good as the oysters legal.

Overall quite good, and the service was pretty good. It would always be a dependable choice if you want some good seafood.