“Tasteless sushi”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I went there before a Celtics game. We've come to eat sushi fairly often and had one of our best meals recently in Natick. This one, however, didn't live up to the pricyness of the sushi menu. First the shumai was bland and felt reheated/microwaved. Much like the ones you would get at Trader Joe's. Then the 4 rolls of sushi came. One of the things that I noticed is that the rolls didn't look as sharp and well prepared as we've found elsewhere. The taste was even worse. One was slathered with way too much sauce on it. Another was overstuffed with cucumber. The others were generally tasteless on the inside. The spicy sauce on a few consisted of little dots of Sriracha on top, which didn't seem appropriate for sushi. My wife and I both felt that the ginger and wasabi were tasteless, to the point that I had to dab my sushi in the wasabi directly to taste it. My guess is that both of these had been out for awhile and has lost their freshness.

The service was generally faceless. Each of the rolls cost $10+, and safe to say none of them measured up.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

ordered take out two nights. The pad thai is nothing special. I have had better. Grilled salmon was nice. General Tao chicken a good value it comes iwth a separate tin of broccoli which was nice. Brown rice is available for a modest extra charge.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Whether alone or with a group, this neighborhood restaurant never disappoints. Where can you have incredibly fresh sushi and a glass of Sancere all at the same time? Consistently high quality food -

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I had sushi, my husband had a chinese chicken dish while another friend had dumplings. All dishes were excellent and the range across asians cuisines was terrific.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

The service is outstanding, the sushi is fresh and generous. White table cloth ambiance. I have moved up through sushi restaurant favorites in Boston, and this is the best of several so far.* The sushi/sashimi orders are average price, but as I say, large. The combo prices are ~ $13-$16. You can mix your own combination - including tonkatsu or teriyaki salmon if you want - including miso soup, salad, entree and ice cream. I return here often for lunch

* I never would have known of Ma Soba if it weren't for the times they've offered $30 Groupons for $15. For me, it was a good investment, and they must think so, too, because they've offered two rounds of them. (I have absolutely no affiliation with Ma Soba or Groupon.)