“Terrible experience - don't waste your money”
Review of Joe Tecce's Ristorante & Cafe - CLOSED

Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Cooper St.
Transit: Walking distance from Haymarket and North Station
boston, ma
“Terrible experience - don't waste your money”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

On Valentines Day, we had a party of 8 people at 8:30 PM. We were surprised at first how the restaurant was NOT busy on Valentines Day night. All 8 of us went to the bar before we sat down for own meal, and the bartenders took about ten minutes a piece to crack open a bottled beer and ring us up. I wanted to jump over the bar and grab one for myself. Honestly, we waited for about 30-35 minutes for all 8 of us to sit down at a table and have our first drink together in the lounge as we waited for 8:30 to roll around to get seated.

At dinner, our waiter, a young man who said "sir" and "mam" literally every five words took our drink orders (15 minutes later) while we sat and looked over the menu. The waiter came back three times saying that the "bar was really backed up, I apologize" when in reality, the ancient bartenders had only 5-6 people sitting at the bar. My boyfriend ordered a gin and tonic for $10, had three sips and refused to drink anymore after because the bartender had such a lousy pour.

We sat and waited for our appetizers, soups and salads, which by the way...at $5 for a TINY teacup of soup....it's not worth it.

After waiting patiently for about twenty something minutes, our drinks were finallllly served to us. We got a loaf of bread on the table. ONE loaf, 6 slices...for 8 people. While we waited for our food, our server never came over to ask us if we wanted more bread, more drinks (which, we all wanted more drinks), and the water we were drinking had been finished for almost 35 minutes.

The waiter seemed flustered, and we did not complain, because half of us at the tables either are/were waiters/waitresses in the past. But having zero water on the table for 35 minutes without doing anything as simple as setting a pitcher on the table was ridiculous.

Our food came out, my boyfriend ordered some steak and broccoli dish, and my first reaction was "That looks like microwaved leftovers..." My meal, the chicken parmesan, at $20 a plate was plain and NOT worth $20. I got a good sized portion on chicken, and probably 15 noodles of penne to go with it.

Our dinner took well over 2 hours from when we first sat down to our bills. The waiter said initially, he could separate the bills and when it came time to giving them, he said he could not remember what couples were together.....our table seats went as follows, Boy, Girl, Girl, Boy on both sides....Must have been extremely hard to follow.....

Throughout our 2 1/2 hours sitting at the table, our waiter only managed to get us one more round to drink....which definitely hurt his tip. Not to mention, the place was dead at 10:30 at night. After we left, and all talked about how horrible our food was, and even worse the waiter, two out of four of the couples went home to find that a gratuity charge of 20% was put on our bills without our knowledge. We clearly did not like the service, the food, the drinks, the waiter (especially the waiter) and refused to give him a 20% tip.

Needless to say, we will NEVER go back. It was NOT great Italian food like we had planned for...and being in the North End in Boston, we expected it to be. The waiter didn't know his left from right and was the laughing stalk of our table for the entire night and the bartenders were slower than molasses.

If you want horrible service for a lot of money, choose Joe Tecce's Ristorante & Cafe!

2 Thank livesimply21

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“great italian food and this is a clasic place”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

great italian food and this is a clasic place

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Boston
“Great Italian Food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I have eaten here numerous times and I have to say the food quality and portions are great. I usually order the Veal Rolatini and I have to say it is the better here then anyother restaurant around. The service is always good and you can't go wrong when you order an antipasto. All in all it is grade A dining!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place is tacky and...”
Reviewed March 18, 2008

This place is tacky and I haven't been in years, but I did enjoy the fried raviolis.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
The Dalles, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Was great in its heyday...”
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Was great in its heyday, but now seems pretty average resting on its laurels.