“Perfect for carnivores - Vegetarians might leave hungry” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Butcher Shop

The Butcher Shop
Reserve with OpenTable
The Butcher Shop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #482 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Wine Bar, American
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South End
Falls Church, VA
“Perfect for carnivores - Vegetarians might leave hungry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

When traveling, we prefer to experience our destinations through good food and wine and strive to avoid places predominantly frequented by tourists. The Butcher Shop definitely fits the bill.

We stopped by on a gorgeous fall Sunday afternoon for a leisurely lunch. Charcuterie and cheese plates are on the short list of our go-to meals and this would have been the perfect day for it. However, we were a little uninspired by the options on this day so we opted for items from the regular lunch menu. (We must admit we are a little partial to and spoiled by Cheesetique in Alexandria, VA which has cheese and charcuterie down to a science.)

My wife had the house-made hot dog and I had the burger. Both were good but I must admit that I was expecting more flavor from the burger. Don't get me wrong - a burger made from fresh premium cuts of meat is always delicious, but this one could have been a little more flavorful. The hot dog was delicious, though, and is a must have for hot dog lovers.

We sat at the bar and the bartender was very willing to answer our many questions about the wines and even offered a taste for each of us to help make up our minds. In the end, we were very pleased with our selections. If you are dining solo or with just one other person the bar is a perfect place to eat.

The working butcher shop was an interesting touch and the cuts of meat and house-made pates, sausages, and sauces looked delicious. While I understand that is part of the charm of the place, I can’t help but wonder if the space would be better used with a few more tables since it is so small already.

Overall a good meal, but not a great one. Good enough that we would definitely go back the next time in Boston but maybe for dinner to see if we like that more.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Always a good place but not like before”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

When I come to Boston this place in the South End is a must! Small very atmosphere nice people nice service, in the years I believe the quality went down and the menu is pretty much always the same. Not excited but the wine lust either, but you won't be disappointed tho!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
“Trendy fun scene, great food in South End!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I live in Boston and one of the first places I went was the Butcher Shop, and I can't stop going back. It is a fun, hip place to visit without being stuffy. It has a great wine selection and knowledgeable staff. The charcuterie is delicious, their meat plates are wonderful. And they have a great selection of cheeses. This is a good place to spend a lazy afternoon/evening with friends, wine, meats, cheeses...and then more wine. Definitely a "must go" spot in Boston.

• Visited August 2012
NY/NJ
“Wow, this was a great meal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Butcher Shop was recommended by a friend that knew I loved te area. Thus, on my most recent trip to Boston, and staying in the area (St. Botolph Inn), we decided to walk over. It was a great night to be outside, so the walk built up the appetite. Upon arriving, we were lucky enough to get a table that allowed a great view of the street traffic. Our waiter John, was excellent. We shared a petit charcuterie plate and the roasted fig salad. Both were outstanding. John recommended a great wine o go with the lamb I ordered, while my daughter had an incredible skirt steak cut of beef. Overall, we really enjoyed our visit and hope to return.

• Visited September 2012
new zealand
“IF YOU LIKE MEAT DON'T WALK ANY FURTHER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

we had a large group of us, they reshuffled tables to accommodate all of us. the food was great and the guys looking after us were fantastic and appeared to love what they were doing. the wine was really good and the ambience even better, was a fantastic night out. well done guys...

Visited September 2012